1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Flakey chargers

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MrCarrot, Jul 26, 2014.

1. MrCarrot

MrCarrot Newbie

When I first got the Moto G I put it on charge using my 1amp HTC charger and cable. I went out for a couple of hours and when I got back the phone hadn't charged and on the lock screen it was flashing rapidly between charging and not charging.

I swapped the cable, and it then proceeded to charge OK.

Last night I tried to charge it again via the HTC charger, and this time it did a similar thing but using any cable (even the cable supplied with the phone). If the phone is switched off the large battery symbol would flicker between a question mark and 20% charged.

I borrowed and swapped to a Nexus charger which I think is 1.5amps and this worked fine.

Today I tried my camera charged which is 550ma. With the phone switched off, the large battery symbol showed a question mark in the centre (it didn't flicker this time between charging and the question mark).

I've now tried plugging it into a laptop and also used a different 1amp HTC charger that I have and it's charging fine with both of these (for the time being!)

Has anyone else experienced flakey results with different charges and cables? I'm worried because I don't want to plug it in to charge and find out several hours later it hasn't been charging.

What I can say is it charges relatively quickly (a couple of hours from low) and lasts a long time.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. sbdc003

sbdc003 Android Enthusiast

I've only used a 1.0A Samsung charger & cable besides the stock charger.

Even though 99% of the time I charge my phone via my laptop's USB ports, it charges just fine from a wall outlet.

3. SipDude

SipDude Member

I also have the Moto G and have had various results via different chargers. Even with my old LG Motion results varied.

I've found that an old Blackberry charger has worked consistently. The Moto G only shipped with the USB cord and no power adapter.

I've also found that an aftermarket cigarette lighter plug works great in my Jeep for charging.

No rhyme or reason. Some adapters are just built better? Who knows.

-SipDude

4. MrCarrot

MrCarrot Newbie

It isn't a fault then? I'm nervous of the phone not charging and the alarm not going off in the morning!

I've never had this issue with previous phones, but that said I've always used the charger provided with any phone and never mixed them

5. SipDude

SipDude Member

Yes. Find a charger that works and just use that one. I was surprised when the MotoG didn't ship with an ac plug. I mostly keep it plugged in to my cig lighter while driving. I have it synched with stereo via blue and tooth for hands free.

I can go all night without it being on the charger. I get just over 2 days of normal use on a full charge.

Like this phone so far. I got the 16gb. You?

-SipDude

6. sbdc003

BTW, the stock charger is 550mA.

[​IMG]

7. SipDude

SipDude Member

Hmm. All I got was the USB cable with the 16gb version. Bought right from Motorola directly. No biggie as I've got other chargers but thought it was a bit odd.

I had to double check the box. Lol. Not even room for one. On side of box: Included, 1 Moto G, 1 USB charging cable, 1instruction sheet.

Oh well.

-SipDude

8. MrCarrot

MrCarrot Newbie

Thanks, same here, no charger supplied which I'm OK with. I checked that the car cigar lighter charges the phone and it appears to.

It's interesting that there is a 550ma stock charger as my 550ma camera USB charger didn't even register when plugged in.

I'll continue to use the charger that works and report back here if there are further problems. I say that because the first charger I used worked at first and now doesn't.

Loving the phone BTW. I've been making do with an old HTC Desire C which was not only incredibly slow but had developed a dead spot on the touch screen making it unusable.

I saw this phone for

9. sbdc003

It only comes with Verizon's prepaid model XT1028. I think Verizon assumes prepaid customers can't afford a computer. :D

10. sbdc003

That's the reason why I posted a pic of the stock charger.

According to someone @xda, Motorola support says anything between 550mA and 1.2A should work safely for the Moto G.

11. SipDude

SipDude Member

Cool. Even tho the 16gb version is only 3g it is also hspa. My old LG motion was 4G LTE and I have not seen a difference.

In my opinion this is the best bang for the buck in this price range.

Of course I'm content with being able to make a call when I need to these days. Remember when there were more dead spots than coverage areas? Lol

-SipDude

12. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

It also comes with the Cricket version which I picked up today.

13. mathesar

mathesar Member

Indeed, picked mine up from Cricket a few days ago and it came with an AC adapter.

14. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

The Boost Mobile Moto G also includes a wall charger.

15. MrCarrot

MrCarrot Newbie

Well I'm happy to say that my phone has been charging fine since I've stuck with the charger that I know works.

Motorola Moto G (1st Gen) Forum

The Motorola Moto G (1st Gen) release date is unknown..Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown.
Release Date
Reviews