• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Flash 10.1 prereleased(this horse aint dead)

This is what he is talking about:

Adobe Flash 10.1 Release Candidate Released

it's from today, but this isn't Android related at all.

Well, it sorta is. We're nearing the finish line. That's the sprinter having just left the launch pad. From the article:

Adobe today announced the release of Flash Player 10.1 release candidate, one of the final stages before the app is fully baked and ready for general consumption. Still, it

Upvote 0
Flash.. yawn

just like everyone clamoring for 2,1 2.1, 2.1.. then we get it and it is kind of okay but not real WOW.

when Flash comes, it will be like we got it, we got it, we got it.. now, whats next.

I mean, I make a living off the web, and I could not care less if we get Flash or not as it does not stop me from doing 1 thing on this phone. In fact, it saves me from having to look at crummy banner ads if anything.

Upvote 0
Flash on any phone is going to be a bad idea. Unless it supports the GPU, it'll just drain the battery to no end (by maxing out your CPU at 100% to decode). I just hope there's an option to disable it. Also, all the weight is on Flash to get the GPU support. Based on their current view of Linux (which is what Android runs on), that won't be any time soon. Adobe publicly despises the current 3 major hardware decoding API's on Linux.

So, if and when it does come out -- enjoy the battery drain ;)

Upvote 0
Flash on any phone is going to be a bad idea. Unless it supports the GPU, it'll just drain the battery to no end (by maxing out your CPU at 100% to decode). I just hope there's an option to disable it. Also, all the weight is on Flash to get the GPU support. Based on their current view of Linux (which is what Android runs on), that won't be any time soon. Adobe publicly despises the current 3 major hardware decoding API's on Linux.

So, if and when it does come out -- enjoy the battery drain ;)

The major update in Flash 10.1 is that it supports the GPU. By using the same version number I'm sure it can be assumed that the phone GPU will also be used. Don't spout Steve Jobs babble and go watch the demo's on the Droid and the Pre. Adobe specifically mentions how they're optimizing battery life.

Upvote 0
The major update in Flash 10.1 is that it supports the GPU. By using the same version number I'm sure it can be assumed that the phone GPU will also be used. Don't spout Steve Jobs babble and go watch the demo's on the Droid and the Pre. Adobe specifically mentions how they're optimizing battery life.

Flash 10.1 does not have any hardware support on Linux. Only on Windows does it support native GPU/hardware decoding. Not even the Mac is supported for hardware decoding, because of their BSD roots.

There's a blog on Adobe's site that explains why they don't support the hardware API's that Linux has (such as the very common vdpau API).

The reason I know this is because I run a Linux HTPC at home, and even with the latest RC there's no support for GPU/hardware decoding.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones