• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Flash a new recovery?

Desktop -- Windows 10 (1903); Intel i7-4790 @ 3.6GHz, 8GB ram. Odin recognizes the device when it is connected in download mode.
Did you try a usb port in the back? And are you rebooting to download mode fresh or just running Odin again after it fails? It needs to be booted fresh into download mode each time.

Are you able to boot the stock recovery?

Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0
Did you try a usb port in the back? And are you rebooting to download mode fresh or just running Odin again after it fails? It needs to be booted fresh into download mode each time.

Are you able to boot the stock recovery?

1) Unable to boot into stock recovery. If I could do that, and do a wipe/reset, I we wouldn't be here. The only options I have with the device are either: a) leave it in the reboot cycle, or b) put it into download mode. Can't get it into recovery, can't get it to power down/shut off. Well, for accuracy, I can get it into recovery but it immediately errors and then goes back to the reboot cycle. So, clearly, the recovery partition is hosed. Thus, the point of this thread.

2) I have not tried a different USB port (I have several) but when connected, the USB tone sounds, and Odin "sees" the device and connects. So, it doesn't seem the USB is an issue.

3) I always drop out of download mode and back in before making another Odin attempt.

Upvote 0
From your Odin logs i'm going to have to say it fails pretty fast, hence the reason i'm saying use a different usb port or cable.
I have seen this be the issue countless times via the forums and my own website. Sometimes using a old laptop that has been sitting in the closet will work while a newer PC will be a no go for whatever reason.

Upvote 0
Yes, Odin does fail very quickly. I'll try different USB ports. I only have the one cable that came with the tablet and that appears physically to be USB-C (at the tablet) but not sure if a USB-C/USB-A cable would work electronically.

I thought smart switch was an app for transferring user files not anything for rebuilding OS?

I'll be unavailable for the next day but will check back once I have further results.

Upvote 0
Yes, Odin does fail very quickly. I'll try different USB ports. I only have the one cable that came with the tablet and that appears physically to be USB-C (at the tablet) but not sure if a USB-C/USB-A cable would work electronically.

I thought smart switch was an app for transferring user files not anything for rebuilding OS?

I'll be unavailable for the next day but will check back once I have further results.
https://www.blogtechtips.com/2017/06/24/easily-restore-samsung-device-firmware-with-smart-switch/

Upvote 0
LOL. I tried SmartSwitch and it says "This device is not supported". Really? Wow... So, I contacted Samsung support to see what they say and their answer is to send it in for service.

I tried Odin again with a different USB port and had the same results.

I'm at a loss on next steps. Guess I'll see what their services costs and decide whether to do that or buy a new tablet. Very frustrating...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones