1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Flash a rom?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by badnaam, Mar 11, 2011.

1. badnaam

badnaam Newbie
    None

Mar 11, 2011
    So i have been playing with my inspire and so far it's been inspiring :). Glad to have this community here, all the posts here have been very helpful.

ANy help/thoughts on the following will be greatly appreciated.

0 - what's the different between rooting and flashing with a new rom

0.1 - is this a good time to flash or should I wait until the phone is a bit older and there are better roms/techniques?

1 - I am wondering what tutorial/document/video I should follow to learn how to root and flash a more efficient rom without the att bloatware

2 - Is there a recommended rom that has htc sense and is still fast (not that sense is slow, in fact I like it and would like to keep it even if I flash the rom)? I mostly use email, calendar, texting, maps, browser, navigation, pandora and some other random apps.

3 - I notice that all the apps keep running in the background (pandora, facebook, tweeter), even though I haven't started them. I don't even use facebook and tweeter (yes :))..is there a way to just uninstall these apps?

I am sure I will have more questions :)..I am glad I switched to android.

Advertisement

2. murphy_31047

murphy_31047 Member
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    Congrats on your Inspire...
    I followed these instructions to root my phone. HTC Inspire Hack Kit - xda-developers It was very tedious and you might want to take a look at these forums here to see if there is a new way to do it. Inspire 4G Android Development - xda-developers
    I used a few different roms, but always came back to cyanogenmod 7. It is just a cool rom. There are several out there. Once you root you will not have to do it again, that is the hardest part, then you will have to learn how to use rom manager and then you can reload roms all day and night without any problems. find one you like and then keep it. There is plenty to choose from. This is a good place to start here... [REF] ALL ROMS | ROOTING | FAQs | STICKIES | POSTING RULES | Read Before Posting - xda-developers It will give you the breakdown of what needs to be done. Just make sure you follow every instruction to the T. Good luck with it.

3. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=
    None

Welcome to Android Forums, badnaam. Murphy gave you some important links there. To answer your first question, I'll over simplify by saying that flashing a ROM is the next step in rooting.

Although there are different reasons for different users to root their device, acquiring (and experimenting with) different ROMs is probably the most popular reason.

Having the access to areas/files/services in the operating system that is not allowed in the factory, stock version is the overall reason for rooting to have been discovered and exploited in the first place, I dare say.

A knowledgeable user can trim out unwanted stock "bloatware" apps and services, adjust the speed and other parameters of the CPU ("overclocking," etc) and customize the look and feel of the things a bit beyond what non-rooters can do (given that 3rd party launchers, such as Launcher Pro, ADW, etc allow for tremendous customizations of screens, etc in non-rooted devices, too).

Have fun, but be careful. Frustrations await those who just plow into the process without understanding each step and the reasons for those steps, when all they had to do was be patient and spend some time reading these forums and finding out about the struggles of others. ;)

4. Wuufer001

Wuufer001 Member
    None

Mar 1, 2011
    I used to have a touchpro winmoo device and have also flashed the rom.
    Havent rooted yet, but i think that rooting might be the hard spl part, just do it once then just start flashing roms all you like. Please correct me if im wrong