1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips Flash Clash! The Heat and Lag Culprit appears to be Flash (update)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rushmore, May 27, 2011.

1. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    Update in Post #19 (Listen to me now and believe me later).

Problem:

Sporadic heat and lag issues

Theory:

Flash is the culprit (or a big part of it)

Rationale:

Things that normally make an Android device run hotter are N64 & PSX game emulators, Flash, and wifi tethering. I have played both emulators and some sustained time with wifi tethering, but none have yet made the DX2 run very warm (this is very nice).

It almost seems like there is an issue with Flash, since it does seem to be what instigates both the warmer temps and the lag issues. My gTablet has Froyo and 10.3 Flash, but does not have the heat or lag issues. Something appears needing tweaked within the DX2 firmware.

If I stay away from Flash, I do not appear to have the problems. Even when using Flash, the heat and lag issues do not appear to happen consistently, but are sporadic. I do notice that Netflix does not have any heat or lag inducing issues. Runs quite nice. Seems like Flash sometimes hangs in the background after using, even though it does not show in the task manager.

I am determined to keep the DX2, since luv the build, display, radio reception, sound quality (sans the skips), form factor, wifi tethering, dual core for emulators and battery life.

The jump from the Incredible is truly as big as the jump from the G1 to the Incredible. Pretty big jump, to say the least.

Still, VZW had better update with fixes ASAP and not wait for Gingerbread, since GB apparently does not like dual cores in the current version.

Advertisement

phanboy4 likes this.
  2. Teegunn

Teegunn Android Expert
    None

Apr 7, 2010
    Male
    Do you use flash much? If not, just turn it off unless you need it for a certain site. Still, it stinks that these kinds of issues plague this phone. The bugs are the main reason I am holding off getting one for now.

3. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky

I use Flash on demand only. Seems Flash is a key issue and like Russian roulette if it happens or not.

Teegunn likes this.
  4. phanboy4

phanboy4 Lurker
    None

May 28, 2011
    Got my X2 a few days ago and have also been noticing the high heat and strange lag that extends even to the Tegra Zone games. Came across this post and disabled Flash with Titanium freeze and yep, I can see a noticeable improvement, both in games and in free memory. Flash was eating this thing alive for some reason.

5. FragDroidX

FragDroidX Android Expert
    None

Jul 24, 2010
    I have the same problem on my OG Droid X. Since upgrading to Flash 10.3 my X will get very hot when browsing. It hit 120

6. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky

7. serp

serp Newbie
    None

May 25, 2011
    I want to add my evidence to your theory. I was having terrible skipping just playing music. I could not get through a whole song. Also I had terrible pauses/skips/sound sync problems when recording video. I froze flash and all those problems have immediately gone away. At least for the past 2 hours that I have been testing it.

Either it's a huge coincidence or your theory is correct. I was disappointed with the problems before and considered returning the phone. But I really have no need for flash so I'm very happy. I hope this is really the fix.

It seems odd that even though you aren't currently using flash that it would affect all these things. I wonder what it would be doing in the background.

8. Teegunn

Teegunn Android Expert
    None

Apr 7, 2010
    Male
    Well, maybe it is the updated flash (10.3)? One would think this would get ironed out either by another flash update, or even better by a Moto update.... however, does Moto even KNOW about the issue?

9. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky

The point is when using Flash, it sometimes seems to lock onto resources (even after exiting Flash) and that may be why people are apparently having sporadic heat and lag issues.

Try restarting the DX2 and not use Flash at all, plus make sure Flash is set to "off" or "on demand". I have not had any lag or heat problems since leaving Flash alone. Flash seems to sometimes work fine, but then other times it can go nuts with the DX2's resources (hence the lag and heat).

All the usual suspects do not get the device very warm: N64 & PSX emulators, higher def vids and wifi tether. This kind of stuff usually makes a lot of devices run hotter, but not the DX2.

It seems the issues are either Flash in general, or 10.3. Whatever the case, I hope it is fixed soon in the firmware.

10. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky

I sent a formal note suggesting this may be one of the issues, but does not hurt for all people to be vocal to VZW. Nothing will get done if a lot of folks are complacent and assume things will get done. Not referring to people here, but a general statement.

11. square

square Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 21, 2009
    why does apple hate flash....

12. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Newbie
    None

May 26, 2011
    Where are you disabling Flash at?

13. Teegunn

Teegunn Android Expert
    None

Apr 7, 2010
    Male
    There might be an option to disable it in browser settings (I am not sure about this). Otherwise, you can use Titanium back and freeze it. Probably the best/easiest option IMHO.

14. square

square Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 21, 2009
    just uninstall it. can always be reinstalled if/when it's fixed.

15. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    Assuming Flash is the issue, all you have to do is set Flash in all browsers as OFF or ON DEMAND. No need to freeze it or uninstall. :)

I see what some of you mean that some games run very warm. Riptide is sweet, but fancy graphics come at a price. The non Tegra games do not seem to do this. Pinball seems okay for Tegra games.

16. John58543

John58543 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 27, 2010
    West Texas
    Been noticing my phone has been heating up a lot today....only moderate use on web and facebook....don't get it. First couple of days I had phone it never did this....don't even have flash installed....thoughts?

17. John58543

John58543 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 27, 2010
    West Texas
    Noticed Weatherbug is causing my phone to heat up....wonder if it used flash?

18. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky

I think bug is Java fed.

19. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    After two days of testing, I can about confirm that the root to a lot of the lag and heat issues is Flash.

1. To test this, restart the device and do not mess with Flash & make sure set to off or on demand in any browser you use. Then see if you have as many lag or heat issues.

2. The DX2 gets up well over 110 degrees when running Flash and sometimes "hangs" in the background (you can tell, since the CPU % will sometimes still be high, even after exiting the Flash content).

I do not recall these issues until installing 10.3, but need to find 10.1 (I think that is what was on it?) to confirm if either Flash itself, or 10.3 is the issue.

The Droid 1 and Incredible do not get this hot and neither does the core temp of the Tegra 2 gTablet.

Seems some updating needs to take place- pronto, buy Motorola and VZW.

Added: Anybody have 10.1 and 10.2 links?

jroc likes this.
  20. serp

serp Newbie
    None

May 25, 2011
    After about 4 days of testing this now I am also convinced that Flash version 10.3 was the culprit. Since freezing flash I have had zero skips while playing music (even streaming), zero stutters while recording/playing video, and zero heating issues. The stock UI has also been perfectly responsive with no noticeable lags.

I don't have any older versions of flash to test those.

21. i_am_booked

i_am_booked Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 26, 2010
    I just froze flash also and took a quick video and holy crap what an improvement. Does freezing flash have any negative effects?

22. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    One thing is for absolute certain. Flash 10.3 SUCKS THE LIFE out of the DX2. I tested the Revolution for ninety minutes today and compared to the DX2 and TB (mainly the DX2).

I could not help but notice that vids I tested on Dailymotion.com performed MUCH better on the Revolution. Smooth as butta and herky jerky on the DX2 (all vids were in HQ mode). One example is a CES 2011 preview via IGN that is linked on the Dailymotion site. No comparison.

One interesting point is both devices ran at 103 degrees during playback, but the DX2 seemed hotter- due to the metal back cover. None the less, it was a jerky mess on the DX2 and smooth on the Revolution.

I downgraded the DX2 from 10.3 to Flash 10.210.2.155.67 (only one I could find in short time). The good news: Performance is much better and on par with the Revolution. The bad news: I get random but common device resets now when playing Flash.

I like Flash on my device, but Flash does NOT appear to like the DX2. This is not a Tegra 2/ Froyo issue, since my gTablet plays Flash sites very fine with no heat spikes or resets.

jroc likes this.
  23. esmith818

esmith818 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    Web to Print Content Developer
    NC
    Why not remove Flash altogether and use the Skyfire browser for viewing Flash media instead? I am no iPhone fan, but maybe there's something to Apple's refusal to suport Flash...

24. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky

The picture quality is not as good using Skyfire and less sites work with it. Besides, Flash works great on the Revolution and the gTablet, so proves Flash can behave. The gTablet proves without a doubt that Froyo + Tegra 2 = great Flash performance and no heat spikes. Something is wrong in the firmware to be causing these issues on the DX2.

Be nice to get Gingerbread and see if the issues are fixed with it (MP3 pops too).

jroc likes this.
  25. ccarson8

ccarson8 Lurker
    None

Dec 9, 2009
    Ohio
    I noticed yesterday that after performing a factory data reset on the phone that the flash version is 10.1

Just thought that would be a sure-fire way to return flash to the older version.

I haven't been having any overheating issues, but I hardly ever use flash.
    My music playback, streaming and mp3, have been much improved since the factory reset, but not perfect