• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help flash in browser + support of movie file formats

Rusty83

Lurker
Dec 28, 2009
Have already posted this in "multimedia". Sorry for reposting, but I hadn't seen this group before.

Q1: On youtube and other websites I, more often than not, get the message "Cannot play this file". I suppose the reason is that the file format is not supported...?

Can I download a codecs pack somewhere in order to get more out of my phone?

Q2: Is there a flash plugin for the Android browser or an alternative browser available, and where do I get it?

thanks, Rasmus

Welcome to AF! :D

1) Yes I suppose this would mean the file is not supported , Their is not anything like codecs to download but hopefully Google will improve this in the future

2) Yes , but not yet. Flash for Android is due the beginning of 2010 so keep an eye out! Their is currently not other browser which supports this. I'm afraid we'll simply have to wait :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the answers. Hopefully that will happen soon.

Would support of additional formats come as a system update or some sort of add on and where yould it be announced?

As you can tell I'm new to this whole thing. I'd just like to know where to look for updates :)

No problem :)

It would come as a system update which would simply get "Pushed" to your phone. So a message would appear and you click install.

When an update is available or being pushed out you'll hear about it on Android News sites like Phandroid ;)

In the mean time , hopefully someone will create an app that supports multiple formats shortly.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones