1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Flash is almost here for Droid!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by G.Armour, Feb 25, 2010.

1. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande?

Like what? I dont see any other major benefits. Flash isnt using code hooks to extend explorer and it isnt a device driver or antivirus app. It should run just as speedily under 32 bit as it would under 64.

And the only people who go to the Adobe forums go to complain, you should know this from hanging around here :p

Considering Flash is installed in hundreds of millions of PCs, i'd imagine a few hundred to a few thousand at least want x64, though I'm not sure all of them know why.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. alostpacket

btw our new forum titles are ridiculous.

3. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian

I am done arguing with you - I know who is asking for it, and just b/c it isn't justified in your opinion doesn't mean there is not a market for it.

I have had a smart phone for 4 months, I have been using a 64bit OS regularly for 3= years - I do all my coding on it, and being able to code for 64bit browsers is completely moot right now as there is no uptake in 64bit browser use simply b/c of the fact that there is no Flash for 664bit browsers.

I'd do a little more research on how 64bit processing works and really understand why, in almost every aspect, it is better than using a 32bit program on a 64bit OS - yes, it works - but in a much more diminished capacity. I didn't build this machine to run in a diminished capacity. That would be why I use a 64bit build of Fx and IE on all sites that do not make use of Flash....

Oh, and think about what you wrote there - since Flash
    then WTF is taking so long in getting it out for 64bit browsers? Wow, kinda shooting themselves in the foot, aren't they? I mean, if it isn't doing anything major in terms of utilizing the 64bit architecture, then it should not be that problematic to port to 64bit - and yet it has been in beta-testing for *nix users for 2 years now.

Obviously, something is up....

4. alostpacket

Whoa, calm down. I didn't even realize we were arguing, just thought it was a lively discussion. jeeze man, lighten up.

If your wondering why it's hard to port from 32 to 64 though, I'd imagine it has to do with having to rewrite any code with memory addressing in it.

A lot of the Flash player is coded in assembly and C from what I understand, I've seen a few lines of the code it's pretty neat stuff. Unfortuinately for the life of me I can't find the link though. It was on like Mike Chambers or Emily Hwuag's (sp?) blog a few years back.

Anywho, didn't mean any disrespect bud. You are perfectly entitled to want a native x64 Flash, heck, I'd want it too. I just dont think the general public is desperate for it.

5. johnlgalt

OK, no worries then - I felt like you were needling me, but I am in a pissy mood to begin with, so my apologies for taking it out on you.

And, to be honest, yeah, I can see the general public not giving a rat's derriere about Flash 64bit, but with the recent rash of issues Adobe has had with their products, I'd rather not see a buggy and hole-ridden product get on my phone, where my real name and identity are easily accessed 9and possibly exploited). I'd rather have to wait another 6 months an make sure they have their ducks all in a row....

As it is, smart-phones are already being targeted more and more in terms of vulnerability researching (and I don't mean for rooting either :p) as well as hacking, and the last thing I want to see is support for a product that only leads to a major pwnage of my DROID somewhere down the line....

6. DjSmooth

DjSmooth Well-Known Member

I've been running windows 64 and have not any issues with flash. And as for flash on mobile devices that seems to be the desire of everyone I know, and hear all over the net.

7. johnlgalt

Load Internet Explorer 64bit and then go to a Flash site.

Just because your OS is 64 bit doesn't mean everything you are running is....

8. DjSmooth

DjSmooth Well-Known Member

You know as I hit the submit button that thought came to me, and I realized I haven't used IE 64bit Browser in so long. So I do stand corrected.

Actually my main browser is Google Chrome.

9. johnlgalt

No worries - I use a 64bit version of Thunderbird as my primary email client, and the Office 2010 Betas come in both 32bit and 64bit - so I personally feel it is *high* time that Flash did so too.

10. radikal

radikal Android Expert

i am running linux 64, its fun to use 32 bit flash on it specially since its like fake flash, its faulty

11. johnlgalt

You could try the beta 2 they have for 64bit (but I think it is still fake, using a wrapper to make the 32bit work....)

12. Shadowtech

Shadowtech Android Enthusiast

Personally I don't see the big deal with getting Flash on the phone. In fact I have it disabled in my browser most of the time simply due to it primarily being used to drive ads on websites. I see a lot of people looking forward to playing flash games.. but how well are those going to work on a touchscreen to begin with? A lot of em are even clumsy with a keyboard and mouse.

While Hulu wouldn't be a bad idea.. personally I want my Netflix working, and as mentioned before that is using silverlight. But if it's just going to make my browser on the phone laggier or present me with more ads I don't want to see.. no thanks.

13. staticfive

staticfive Lurker

Seriously? I will hack the shit out of anything for fun, but x64 windows is waaaay too much of a pain in the ass for me. Two control panels? Two program files folders and 70% of programs go into X86 anyway? Oh, last but not least... DRIVER SIGNATURE ENFORCEMENT. No, I don't want to start my computer with the F8 key just so my sound will work because Realtek was forced to go through Microsoft's WHQL and didn't. I just don't want to think about it. X64 is terrible and I will never try nor suggest it again.

As for Flash... I bet we could sit you down with x64 or x8y in a blind test and you wouldn't know the difference. If you're talking about performance and flash isn't Capping your framerate at the max, then you need a faster computer, not 64-bit flash.

14. johnlgalt

Anyone who says X64 is terrible b/c of driver signature enforcement obviously hasn't seen what happens to systems that use hacked 32bit drivers for 64bit support.

You may not want to go 64bit, but you'll have no choice in less than 5 years. Personally, I'd rather not be putting a Porsche engine in a Volkswagen bug and keeping the stock gearbox, but to each their own....

Motorola Droid Forum

The Motorola Droid release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 5MP camera, 256GB RAM, processor, and 1400mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews