1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Flash is the reason I'm considering not to buy this phone

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mttfrog13, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Sharkonwheels

Sharkonwheels Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 6, 2010
    LOL - well - DEPENDING on your definition of "Android Phone," the Backflip has a camera flash.

But, as I said, depending on your definition...

:D

PS - Funny thing, is the 'Flip COULD also do Video Calling, with the keyboard opened, as long as the image sent out is rotated 180 degrees before transmission.

Strange... To say the Backflip has features the Captivate doesn't...

T

Advertisement

2. mttfrog13

mttfrog13 Android Enthusiast
    None

May 5, 2010
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    I went into the at&t store today to see it in person. My how i love the screen. I thought that the only difference between its screen and the amoled screen on my droid inc would be maybe a little less glare. But no, the screen is brighter, whites are whiter and the colors are deeper. The larger size of the screen just makes it even better. The pixels weren't really visible unless u were looking for them. It is a substantial step up screen-wise. The UI also felt faster and smoother.

Also although the specs on the vzw site say that the droid inc's dimensions are 4.63" (H) x 2.3" (W) x 0.47" (D) and the att website says the captivate is 4.18 x 2.5 x 0.39, the captivate was actually a couple mm taller than my droid inc. Not bad at all for the size of the screen. And it was still slimmer.

3. EvilPlots

EvilPlots Newbie
    None

Apr 26, 2010
    Gladwin, MI
    The actual dimension is 4.81" for the Captivate. With the Bodyglove case it is just under 5" long lol.

I switched to the Captivate from an Incredible, so far I haven't needed the flash but I doubt I will miss it for longer than a second when I do. I loved my Incredible and only switched because Verizon has low coverage in my area I'm very glad I did though. So far the Captivate is way nicer, my battery is lasting at least twice as long as the 1750 mah Seidio in my Incredible. Its way easier to root too!

4. Android_J

Android_J Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 18, 2010
    Silicon Valley
    LED flash isn't just for pictures. It also helps with video in low light conditions. Check this vid out. It would be useless without LED light.

It just chaps my hide that the other Galaxy S (Epic for Sprint) gets both front facing camera and LED flash and we don't.

Not a must have for me, but flash and front facing camera is expected in a high end smartphone these days.

YouTube - iPhone 4 LED Flash video test

5. TDQuiksilver

TDQuiksilver Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 15, 2010
    OP is insane. This phone has so much to offer. If you're that worried about camera quality, then buy a dedicated unit.

6. Intervenient

None

Jul 14, 2010
    Student at UCSB

I hate when people say this. "Go buy a camera" is almost the same as "go buy a case" for the iPhone. Customer has the right to buy what they want.

7. DT

DT Android Expert
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    Owner, Senior Software Architect, V2N
    Vilano Beach, FL
    The LED flash was definitely something I considered. I thought about switching to Verizon for the DX, but ultimately I liked the SGS better (smaller form factor, "better" display) and staying with AT&T was simpler (already setup for billing, two phones, landline, internet).

Ultimately for us, most P&S type pics will be in a situation where a flash isn't crucial and for "picture intensive" situations, we'll have our DSLR anyway. I haven't really tested this theory out yet, hopfully it pans out :D

8. Jofaba

Jofaba Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    The camera on this phone is one of the most important aspects for me. And I couldn't be happier. I'm not a night owl so maybe I'm biased, but this is a pretty damn impressive camera in my opinion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. TDQuiksilver

None

Jul 15, 2010
    Yeah... that's a given. Settle down.

My point is as simple as this: If you're looking for a quality camera with features of a camera... buy a camera.

A standard point-and-shoot will do what he's looking for... without breaking the bank. Otherwise enjoy the camera for what it's worth on this phone. It's more than sufficient for what it's intended use is... right? Facebook, MySpace, MMS, etc.

10. GalaxyS609

GalaxyS609 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 20, 2010
    New Jersey
    or he can just go buy the phone with the features he wants. I dont see the reason why any of us would waste our time trying to convince someone to buy a phone that they already find fault with.

It's not like there is a problem with the flash, there simply isnt one, so go buy one that has what you want and get on with it.

11. Intervenient

None

Jul 14, 2010
    Student at UCSB

Settle down? You questioned the OP's mental health in your post. Who needs to settle down? :rolleyes:

And funny that two of the things you mention are not working properly on the Captivate ;)

12. TDQuiksilver

None

Jul 15, 2010

And....? :thinking: I see nothing funny.

13. ric3bowl

ric3bowl Newbie
    None

Mar 30, 2010
    NYC, USA
    If it's important to you, I'd stick with the HTC Incredible and its camera flash. Why do you want to mess with what works? The Incredible is a great smartphone isn't it? I think the question must be... what's the reason you don't want to hold on to your Incredible?

14. ric3bowl

ric3bowl Newbie
    None

Mar 30, 2010
    NYC, USA
    These aren't just phones anymore. Point being, it's okay to complain about lacking features that aren't just about communication.

15. ArainLA

ArainLA Newbie
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    Does the Nexus One have flash?
    I know its not subsidized and sort of gone but if you want to stay on AT&T its an option, I just dont know if it has flash or decent camera.

Those pics look great in daytime.

If you want flash and great pics with flash iphone 4 is an option.

16. acandia007

acandia007 Newbie
    None

Jul 16, 2010
  17. mttfrog13

mttfrog13 Android Enthusiast
    None

May 5, 2010
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Going into more detail, the reason I'm getting off my verizon family plan is because the account holder can't afford it anymore so it's going to be shut off soon. I feel kind of shafted because I paid $60 every month towards the bill. The balance probably won't be paid off and the account turned back on for 2 months at the least. I've been away at college the whole summer and cannot go for this long without a phone when I have no land line. There is a HUGE balance due on it which prevents me from being able to transfer my line to my own verizon account otherwise I'm sure I would do that. All I can do is terminate the contract before the line is shut off, sell the phone and hope to make some of the money back in order to pay the termination fee and buy a new phone whether it be on verizon or any other carrier.

The reason I'm choosing to go to at&t and the captivate over verizon and the droid inc are because I like the form factor and screen on the captivate. I feel like the droid x and evo are too big, but I would like a screen bigger than the droid inc. The second main reason is that I'm able to get a discount on my at&t plan so that I will be paying 70/month before taxes vs 80/month with verizon. Therefore saving $240 over 2 years and 110 on the price of the phone. I guess I came the the conclusion that flash isn't worth the $350. I sat down and looked through the pictures i've taken with my droid inc over the past 2 months and there weren't many so I think i was overreacting over camera flash. Also, at&t is said to have good coverage in my area but anything is probably better than my droid inc, it never gets more than 2/4 bars and I've experienced reception issues.