• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Flash lite on Devour?

Hey Lars:

Did you have any luck locating the Flash Lite binaries from a Motorola Devour?

I just bought a couple of new phones, without realizing that no Flash Player was available for them. With all of the hype you see in the news about being able to see flash content on Android but not Apple's IOS, I assumed (wrongly) that a newer phone with Android 2.2 installed would be able to run Adobe's Flash player. Grrrrr. :eek::(

The phone model I went with is the Samsung Galaxy Prevail (for Boost Mobile), and they appear to use a Qualcomm MSM7267 Processor from what I can find out about them, as does the Motorola Devour. When I click on the button at the bottom of this page to browse all devices using it, both the Samsung Galaxy Prevail and Motorola Devour are listed:

Qualcomm MSM7627 - CPUlist | PDAdb.net - Comprehensive Database of Smartphone, PDA, PDA Phone, PNA, netbook & Mobile Device Specifications

Since the Devour apparently supports Flash Lite, I figured I'd try to find binaries from one and see if they'd work on the Prevail, and found this thread using a search for Devour and Flash Lite and joined the forums here (this is my first post).

I'm trying to decide if I'm going to keep the phones (the only Android models that Boost offers), or just go with a new Sprint contract with better phones (I'm using Sprint now), since it looks like the ones I got are not going to run as much as some of the newer phone models around (and no Flash Player support is something that gives me pause, unless I can find a solution like running a version from another phone model).

Thanks in advance for any help finding Flash Lite from a Devour (and I'd be open to other suggestions, too), as I know next to nothing about Android (yet), or where to even look for that type of thing.

JimC

Upvote 0
I've had the Devour for over a year now, and I haven't found any way to run flash apps on it, aside from using a workaround such as the SkyFire browser (which is actually a splendid third party browser). I've never heard of such a thing as "flash lite" and a search for it in the Android Market only turns up basically useless flashlight apps.

Looking to the Devour for Flash support is a step in the wrong direction, as it runs Android 1.6 and had one update in its life. Your phones running Android 2.2 should be able to support flash. See the Flash app in the Android Market. https://market.android.com/details?id=com.adobe.flashplayer

Upvote 0
Your phones running Android 2.2 should be able to support flash. See the Flash app in the Android Market. https://market.android.com/details?id=com.adobe.flashplayer

Nope.

A lot of newer phones coming out with Android 2.2 installed will not work with Adobe Flash Player. Adobe Flash Player (10.1 and higher) for Mobile platforms requires a processor with support for the ARMv7 instruction set, and I'm unaware of anyone that's got Flash Player working on a phone with a lesser processor yet (and there are a lot of phones coming out with processors that don't support ARMv7).

The Qualcomm msm7626 used in the Samsung Galaxy Prevail uses an ARM 11 (ARM1136EJ-S) CPU core, that is not compatible with Flash Player, as it only supports an ARMv7 instruction set.

That's why I'm trying to find a Flash Lite player that works on that processor.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones