• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Flash on the Optimus M! OH EM GEE

Do yourselves a favor. Stop talking about it, stop asking about it, stop wondering about it. Flash will not work in our phones properly because we do not have the proper hardware. I posted this for everyone so they can stop chasing something that is not only pointless, foolish, but it seems like people who post anything about flash don't seem to understand. One more time here is the explanation: phones that have an arm6 processor CANNOT run flash without harming the life of your phone. Arm7 phones are easily capable of making flash run because the architecture supports the capability. Arm6 processor phones like the droid eris have been able to run flash with a lot of work but guess what?: the phone overheats very badly which means you have serious risks of the phone dying or worse the phone makes the battery explode.

Please remember this post and do noobs a favor by directing to them to this post.
This has been a community PSA, please forgive me for being blunt but it is only to let you know how very serious I am about the subject.

-nomorefear

Do you think Netflix will end up being available for the Optimus? They said they are going to eventually within the next few months make it available to use on most Android phones.
Netflix does work, in essence. The APK has been available on XDA since release. However in it's current state, playback has some issues: 2x Speed, an occasional green bar across the top. A tweaking by Netflix or XDA further down the line will more than likely bring support to our phone.

Upvote 0
Netflix does work, in essence. The APK has been available on XDA since release. However in it's current state, playback has some issues: 2x Speed, an occasional green bar across the top. A tweaking by Netflix or XDA further down the line will more than likely bring support to our phone.

Downloaded the apk that has the device check removed. Works great over Wifi, not so much with the regular connection.

Still... can watch tv and movies when I'm at McDonalds eating or any other place where there's WiFi.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry but I HAVE to say something, first of all, hardware (for the most part) does NOT determine the capacity nor the content of the software that is being run and what I mean by that is that BECAUSE we have a certain type of processor, that does NOT mean that the phone is not capable of running flash, that just means that flash for our processor has not been developed. THOUGH, it DOES effect the SPEED which software runs. You can still install Windows 7 on a computer that with a P4 processor (I have done it), but that doesn't mean you get the same experience or speed as a computer using a i7 processor with windows 7. And YES, there ARE exceptions to this rule, but VERY rarely.

As far as the somewhat ridiculous notion about exploding phones and batteries, this isn't WWII, it's a phone and ANY program (flash or not) which stresses the phone a lot.. for example HD Videos for a long time may cause the phone to overheat, ESPECIALLY if you are overclocked.

Also the reason why the 'newbs' want flash to work is because flash has become so necessary to the viewing of various sorts of content through the internet, it seems a little shocking to me to find out that my phone does not allow for flash, but ok. Fair enough. We get the point. Flash, on this phone, is not developed YET.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry but I HAVE to say something, first of all, hardware (for the most part) does NOT determine the capacity nor the content of the software that is being run and what I mean by that is that BECAUSE we have a certain type of processor, that does NOT mean that the phone is not capable of running flash, that just means that flash for our processor has not been developed. THOUGH, it DOES effect the SPEED which software runs. You can still install Windows 7 on a computer that with a P4 processor (I have done it), but that doesn't mean you get the same experience or speed as a computer using a i7 processor with windows 7. And YES, there ARE exceptions to this rule, but VERY rarely.

As far as the somewhat ridiculous notion about exploding phones and batteries, this isn't WWII, it's a phone and ANY program (flash or not) which stresses the phone a lot.. for example HD Videos for a long time may cause the phone to overheat, ESPECIALLY if you are overclocked.

Also the reason why the 'newbs' want flash to work is because flash has become so necessary to the viewing of various sorts of content through the internet, it seems a little shocking to me to find out that my phone does not allow for flash, but ok. Fair enough. We get the point. Flash, on this phone, is not developed YET.

We all know why the n00bs wanna run flash. We wanna run it for the same reason: there's a lot of stuff on the interwebs that uses it. But, the shit don't work, and the official explanation made it clear that Adobe has not developed Flash for ARMv6 processors. Why else wouldn't it work? So when we say that it won't work because it requires an ARMv7 processor and we have ARMv6, that's what it means. The software currently released from Adobe currently only supports ARMv7 processors, and has not been written to accommodate ARMv6 processors. That means that the phone with an ARMv6 processor is not capable of running software written for an ARMv7 processor. Just like if you try to run Doom 3 on a 486sx with a .5 MB ISA video card, that shit don't work.

I wasn't there to see the Droid Eris shit its digital pants when trying to run Flash, but someone probably didn't quite hit the jackpot with their attempt at reverse engineering Flash.

Upvote 0
We all know why the n00bs wanna run flash. We wanna run it for the same reason: there's a lot of stuff on the interwebs that uses it. But, the shit don't work, and the official explanation made it clear that Adobe has not developed Flash for ARMv6 processors. Why else wouldn't it work? So when we say that it won't work because it requires an ARMv7 processor and we have ARMv6, that's what it means. The software currently released from Adobe currently only supports ARMv7 processors, and has not been written to accommodate ARMv6 processors. That means that the phone with an ARMv6 processor is not capable of running software written for an ARMv7 processor. Just like if you try to run Doom 3 on a 486sx with a .5 MB ISA video card, that shit don't work.

I wasn't there to see the Droid Eris shit its digital pants when trying to run Flash, but someone probably didn't quite hit the jackpot with their attempt at reverse engineering Flash.

Yeah, I guess my problem with the original post is that it made it seem like your phone was going to explode if you did run flash because they processor had a allergy to flash or something. The hardware is capable, there is not support though. Fair enough.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones