1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Flash player on rooted Desire 'bravo' running Cyanogenmod 7.2.0.1

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dontalktofrank, Jan 19, 2013.

1. dontalktofrank

None

Jan 17, 2013
    I rooted my HTC Desire 'bravo' last night and flashed Cyanogenmod 7.2.0.1, i've spent most of the time elapsed since then tweaking settings and downloading/uninstalling/moving apps to get things how i want them, only to find now that there is no Adobe Flash player support.

I've tried installing a couple of different Flash Player APKs downloaded from brothersoft but basically it starts installing, shows a status bar making progress and when it reaches the end says it failed. Does anybody know if it's possible to get Adobe Flash support in my circumstances, and if so how?

Advertisement

2. nicka3200

nicka3200 Android Expert
    None

Dec 28, 2011
    Male
    UK
  3. dontalktofrank

None

Jan 17, 2013
    Thanks but i have the same problem as before; i put the APK on my SD card, open it through the Cyanogenmod file manager, there's a dialogue box warning it will replace application (i installed a different Flash APK before which failed to give me support for Flash content online), i click 'OK', there's a status bar for a second and then it says "Application not installed" with a nice green tick next to it like that's what i just asked it to do.

Any suggestions? I removed the standard browser because i use Boat browser, maybe to do with Boat needing an add on or something? There's no 'Flash settings' in the app drawer either.

4. nicka3200

nicka3200 Android Expert
    None

Dec 28, 2011
    Male
    UK
    I have no idea if this will work or not but it's worth a try. Some devs pre-install user apps within their ROMs so there may be a user app file within the ROM zip file if you still have it.

Open the zip (not extract) with something like WinRAR. If there is a file called data open that. Inside there may be a file called app. Open that file & drop the adobe flash apk into it. Take a nandroid backup & reflash the zip file.

It may work or it may not but you can nandroid restore if it causes problems.

dontalktofrank likes this.
  5. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    No, it's not the browser.

Do you know where it's trying to install to? If you are S-On and it's trying to install to system you would have a problem, but I've checked my phone and I've got this thing installed to SD, so it should be installing as a user app rather than system.

You could try cleaning up first: uninstall the other thing, and to be safe clean up the dalvik cache (Titanium Backup has that option - at least the paid version - or you can wipe dalvik from recovery). Then see whether it will install. I've never known that to be the problem with user apps, but it's helped with finnicky system apps before now.

I'll post you a link to another apk in a minute.

dontalktofrank likes this.
  6. dontalktofrank

None

Jan 17, 2013
    Who'd have guessed the simplest solution would prove to be the one?

I couldn't uninstall (or so i thought) the older Flash apk i'd previously installed since it wasn't listed anywhere in the app manager or in the /system/app directory.

I was going to give nicka3200's solution a try since i'd managed to copy the new Flash apk into the app folder in the Cyanogenmod zip. So i downloaded Titanium backup to backup my apps and their data, which i was unaware could also be used for uninstallations, which had the older version of Flash listed in it. So i uninstalled the old Flash apk from there, then proceeded to install GB Flash apk from SD and it was successfull.

Thankyou both profusely and i apologize for any wasted time and effort on your parts.

Hadron likes this.
Tags: