1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Flash still looks pixellated..

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by homey, Jun 19, 2011.

1. homey

homey Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 14, 2010
    Just updated to 3.1 and I initially thought that flash on 4OD and YouTube was better but it actually looks much the same and nowhere near the same quality as my ipad.
    What's going on? I thought that flash was supposed to be hardware accelerated on 3.1.
    Is there a work around for this?
    Flash just updated to 10.3 but video is still nowhere near the ipad.
    :thinking:

Advertisement

2. No_u

No_u Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 4, 2010
    Flash looks fine to me.

The iPad doesn't have flash so it can't even show the video. Youtube on the iPad is worse quality then Youtube on the Eee Pad, if you use the apps.

3. homey

homey Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 14, 2010
    Sorry, my mistake. Of course the iPad doesn't have flash but watching the same video on youtube, at the same time on the iPad and the Transformer right next to it (I own both), clearly shows that the Asus' video is pixellated by comparison. If I watch the same video on my PC, it's fine.
    The TF browser is set to desktop emulation so it should be served with the same video as the desktop so why does it make such a pig's ear of it?

If you watch anything on 4OD, the problem is even worse:

The Inbetweeners - 4oD - Channel 4

The same video is fine on my desktop.

I've tried the stock browser, Maxthon and Opera and they all give the same results. It's not just the TF either. My friend just brought over his Xoom and that is exactly the same!

Can anyone shed some light on this weird behaviour? Maybe I've got some settings wrong somewhere...

4. No_u

No_u Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 4, 2010
    Use the Youtube app in your app browser. Youtube looks just as amazing on there as on your desktop and better then the iPad.

What you're doing now is comparing the iPad optimized Youtube app to a global flash plugin on Android, which is not specifically optimized for Youtube.

5. homey

homey Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 14, 2010
    Yup. You're totally right. Using the YouTube app gives amazing video but the problem is that here in the UK, quite a lot of material is excluded from the YouTube apps (both on the iPad and Android tablets) so the only way to watch them is to watch them directly on the sites and it's here that the generic flash plugin shows just how rough it is!

Gingerbread is obviously capable of great quality flash video but it needs to be made available in the browser and on all video!

This is clearly not the fault of the TF which, incidentally, is an awesome tablet for the money, its just something that should have been sorted out in the 3.1 release..