• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Flash stock rom but keep root?

You will need to flash the rom available here [Rom][Rooted] 2.11.605.5 Full Stock - RootzWiki

Wipe /system as well as data, cache and dalvik. If another OTA hits your phone may try to accept it but that will cause you to soft brick, in order to update you would need to flash the new OTA rom, I don't think there will be another OTA for a while for the bolt.

Reactions: D-U-R-X
Upvote 0
It will try to receive the updates but you will soft brick because you are using a non-stock recovery. If the update becomes available you can choose to flash the stock recovery and allow it to update or you can choose to just flash the new OTA stock rom that comes out. I always suggest flashing the rom since it is safer due to not flashing things in hboot and easier IMO.

Upvote 0
That is up to you. I wouldn't in case you wish to make a nandroid or change roms. If another OTA comes out it will be talked about and you can then flash the stock recovery if you want to take the OTA. If you do take the OTA you will need to flash back to a custom recovery after and flash superuser in recovery in order to get the phone back to allowing you to have root access.

I am assuming you rooted with revolutionary, if you rooted the old method your hboot could be overwritten and you would have to reroot using revolutionary.

It really is much less of a headache to flash the OTA rom when it comes out instead of trying to accept an update.

Upvote 0
That is up to you. I wouldn't in case you wish to make a nandroid or change roms. If another OTA comes out it will be talked about and you can then flash the stock recovery if you want to take the OTA. If you do take the OTA you will need to flash back to a custom recovery after and flash superuser in recovery in order to get the phone back to allowing you to have root access.

I am assuming you rooted with revolutionary, if you rooted the old method your hboot could be overwritten and you would have to reroot using revolutionary.

It really is much less of a headache to flash the OTA rom when it comes out instead of trying to accept an update.

This is the best way, honestly. Instead of waiting for an OTA that can mess up your phone, just grab the OTA early that is in a flashable .zip format instead of an RUU from VZW/HTC.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones