• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Flashback trauma paranoia

Looked, but I can't seem to find an answer to the question that worries me about flashing back from rooting; apologies if it's due to a lack of understanding on my part.

I've got a T-mobile (assume this comes under 'branded') Desire & I'm tempted to try rooting it (which I think comes under 'invalidating my warranty'). I don't want to invalidate my warranty because I'm not rich enough to replace my Desire, but I've read you can restore them to previous state ('flash' back?).

So the question:

How would I return my Desire to a branded 'T-mobile' device if I follow the guide to root it & want to go back? I mean each company brands with its own software & I'd look a bit of a pillock handing back a Vodaphone one or something wouldn't I?

I'm a great believer in identifying all the exits before I enter a room :D

if you head on over to the xda forums, there's a thread that has all of the official RUU's, and i believe that they have the t-mobile software one there.

im not entirely sure, but if you want to flash the original RUU back on to the phone, you'll need a goldcard while doing so otherwise complications arise. what method are you looking at to root?

Upvote 0
...im not entirely sure, but if you want to flash the original RUU back on to the phone, you'll need a goldcard while doing so otherwise complications arise. what method are you looking at to root?

Thinking about using lekky's suggestion: http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-desire/70748-desire-root-guide-newbies-pc-only.html

Tbh I'm in 2 minds about rooting. Pretty sure I'm holding what amounts to a very capable personal computer that has been nerf'd by my service provider, but not at a Linux level to appreciate what it is probably capable of (my understanding of Linux is based on it having a cute penguin).

My principle query is about changing it back, & I'll have a surf through the xda forums to see what's there as you suggest.

Is that where everyone should look for their provider-specific default OS? A pity the procedure of rooting doesn't have some option to save the original state? I was rather hoping someone would say it did & I'd look silly for not realising it.

Upvote 0
i was under the impression that once rooted, you can do a nandroid back up for recovery purposes?

don't know what actually happens when you restore this though as i've never had the need to..

the one click method is a fairly simple way of rooting, which is what i used, no goldcard was needed..

just remember mate, by rooting, you're doing so at your own risk :)

Reactions: Nathan Baxter
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones