1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Flashboot and ClockworkMod

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by benwalburn, May 18, 2011.

1. benwalburn

benwalburn Android Enthusiast

Yes, I am asking another ignorant question. Please do not reply if you are going to get an attitude with me. I am sorry for not knowing.

I have been trying to make a new ClockworkMod recovery, but my phone has been rebooting into Fastboot. This has never happened before and I can't figure out how to run the normal cwm recovery.

I thought I don't have flashboot because I rooted using a one-click-root progam (I didn't realize the negative effects).

Anyways, what should I do about this? And what is Fastboot? (I can't find a good answer. Google has not been good to me lately)

Thank you

Oh, and I did google "fastboot" thanks for catching that. (I'm a bit sleep deprived)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. dautley

dautley Android Expert

the blue screen? its fastboot http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fastboot I believe your referring to and if your phone already had it using a one click root solution won't erase it.
    The easiest way to get ClockWork back is to download ROM Manager from the market and install it from that app, but after you do that you should consider switching to Amonra recovery which you can also install from ROM Manager after first installing clockwork.

3. benwalburn

I have the current Rom Manager and I flashed a recovery, but when I try to reboot into its recovery, I get Fastboot instead, which I can't get to do anything.

I've heard of Amon Ra, but again, I can't get much information on it. I'll check it out. Thanks

4. dautley

dautley Android Expert

Go to the very top where it says "Flash Clockwork Mod Recovery" you might have to do it a few times before it will stick.

To flash Amonra scroll down to "Flash Alternate Recovery" RA_GNM Recovery v2.2.1 again you may have to do it a few times to get it to stick.

5. benwalburn

I keep getting a message while attempting to flash Ra. It says "An error occured while flashing your recovery" or something similar.

How do I fix this error?

6. KingOfGreen

KingOfGreen Android Expert

I know you have to delete a file in order to get the recovery to stick. Which file this is i dont know but ive seen it in the forums here a few times. I bet you could search and find it here. You can also manually flash the recovery via fastboot and can find guides on fastboot on the internet. Its pretty simple. Drivers are the hard part.

7. benwalburn

Thanks for the help. I'll check out google and hope for some real search results

8. jmar

jmar Nexican

The file referred to is install-recovery.sh
    Delete this using a root file manager after flashing recovery and you are good to go.

KingOfGreen likes this.
  9. benwalburn

Will that allow me to flash amon ra or just make it stick? I'm still getting an error message while trying to flash it

10. benwalburn

My phone keeps going into Fastboot. How do I fix this? I want to run recovery.

11. jmar

jmar Nexican

First delete file. Then flash amonra. Then reboot.

12. KingOfGreen

Also flashing with fastboot is WAY more reliable than clockwork and is a one line command. The drivers are a pain so if you can make it work with clockwork then go for it but you keep getting that error you may want to try flashing with fastboot

benwalburn likes this.
  13. benwalburn

Ah, you're a lifesaver. I finally have Amon Ra. Thank you for the walkthrough

jmar likes this.
  14. Rick2179

Rick2179 Well-Known Member

I am on ver 2.2.2 rooted with one click and have rom manger with clockworkmod installed. I was able to make a backup with clockwork, but after that I have not been able to boot into recovery mode. I tried flashing Velocity 1.1 but it just reboots with out flashing the rom. Cant get in to recovery at all. how should I proceed. Thanks

15. KingOfGreen

Delete install-recovery.sh from /system/ect/ and reflash recovery, use alt recovery from within rom manager to flash ra_gnm. .. . I think is the name of the recovery youll see. Then flash velocity 1.1 i wouldnt use clockwork or rom manager with the ally

16. Rick2179

Rick2179 Well-Known Member

It comes back with "error deleting file"

17. biggiesmalls657

biggiesmalls657 Android Enthusiast

I would use the guide. One click methods are a terrible way of rooting. I followed the guide and had no problems with my friends ally. The devs got this one great! Just make sure usb debugging is checked.

18. jmar

jmar Nexican

It may be located in a different file directory. Root explorer can help you locate it with a quick search.

19. getitnowmarketing

getitnowmarketing Android Enthusiast

Here is a how to on flashing RA recovery. http://androidforums.com/getitnowmarketing/330813-all-one-recovery-thread.html

Honestly on your CWM project unless you have experience setting up board.mk and related files and have built android open source quite a few times and are capable of adding a new device from scratch leave recovery making to the pro's. I have a 3+ version of CWM I made while making cm7 on ally if you really need it but most users like the ra version I maintain better.

death2all110 likes this.

LG Ally Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews