• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Flashed 2.1.2, now phone is "Low on Space"

skoo9382

Mar 31, 2010
so i just recently as of yesterday flashed Fresh 2.1.2, and i was coming from Fresh 2.1.1, and now my phone is telling me i'm "Low on Space" - "Phone storage is getting low"

i haven't added any apps since upgrading to 2.1.2 but now i'm "Low on space"?

Does Fresh 2.1.2 take up more space? which means i need to have less apps?

Would getting a bigger memory card help with this issue at all???

fresh 2.1.2 does take up more space because its de-odexd to speed it up. format your sd card with a ext3 partition and use app2sd to move your apps to your sd and of your internal space.

edit- and just by the way you said "you haven't added any more apps" makes me think you didin't wipe your data before the flash which may have kept unnecessary files on your internal.

Upvote 0
im not sure if aloysius supports it or not as ive only used fresh and freshtoast. but you would have to copy everything off your sd card as it will delete everything you have on there

Thanks a lot man

I do have an app on this rom called DConfig, I have no idea what it is but when I open it it says apps2SD and has "enable" and "move apps to SD" enabled but I don't think I have apps2sd on this rom.

Upvote 0
Thanks a lot man

I do have an app on this rom called DConfig, I have no idea what it is but when I open it it says apps2SD and has "enable" and "move apps to SD" enabled but I don't think I have apps2sd on this rom.

yes you have it...yes it's enabled.. BUT.. until you partition the SD card with an ext3 partition and a swap partition as well as a fat partition, it won't move any apps to the SD card.

Upvote 0
I would try it, but in the thread over at XDA they gave me a link to one that works with the aloysius rom...basicly I think I would have to wipe my phone again and I JUSt got it setup =\

PLus, it seems slightly complicated

I never formatted My SD card whic isn't an issue since I could backup my pix and music...it just seems a little complicated to get it to work...and may cause some issues.

Upvote 0
edit- and just by the way you said "you haven't added any more apps" makes me think you didin't wipe your data before the flash which may have kept unnecessary files on your internal.

i was under the impression that you didn't have to wipe everything if you were coming from a previous Fresh Rom.

"A data wipe should not be necessary if you are coming from Fresh Rom 2.1.x or Fresh Toast 2.x." From Flipz Website

I cleared the Cache and it's taken away the icon. So i think i'm good for now. But i'm going to buy a bigger memory card anyways, and probably look into partitioning it and using a Apps2sd program.

Upvote 0
yes you have it...yes it's enabled.. BUT.. until you partition the SD card with an ext3 partition and a swap partition as well as a fat partition, it won't move any apps to the SD card.

This is what scares me. I like to flash new roms as they come on the scene. If I partition and use aps2sd is this going to interfere with flashing of roms with and without aps2sd?

yea....2.1.2 is pretty slow. also was 2.1.1 and 2.0d. Really, nothing compares to how amazed i was when rooted Fresh 1.1 w/ Gumbo Kernel/Set CPU from Stock

I've tried a bunch too and I sometimes feel like (this rom is getting slower.) Sometimes my 700+whp car feels like it's getting slower too but it's just me getting used to it. Speed is relative. That stock rom is really slow then the first time we upgrade it blows us away. Then we search for that same difference again and again but we are already fairly fast so nothing is as dramatic as that first upgrade.

Upvote 0
This is what scares me. I like to flash new roms as they come on the scene. If I partition and use aps2sd is this going to interfere with flashing of roms with and without aps2sd?

yes, of course not to the point of not being able to use the ROM.. you'd have to wipe the SD EXT as well as davlik and data.. then reinstall your apps. of course, you better make sure that you have a nandroid that includes the ext so you can restore back to it..

for me, app2sd is risky.. I've said it many times before.. Fresh 2.1.2 at least makes the apps2sd NOT move the davlik to the SD unless you tell it too.. with davlik on the SD if you pull the SD card or if it fails, the phone won't boot and most likely would need to have the RUU run to get it working again. with the davlik NOT moved, you might be able to just put the card back in.. unless it failed.. then yer screwed

Reactions: ibepressin
Upvote 0
so after using aloysius for over a day now i have to say im pretty impressed. im using the OC version right now but i might switch to the purehero rom the developer also provides because i dont use sense. apps2sd was really easy. formatted the sd in recovery mode using the defaults it provides then flashed the rom and let dconfig do its thing. worked great for me and i have 139mb of free disk space.

Upvote 0
so after using aloysius for over a day now i have to say im pretty impressed. im using the OC version right now but i might switch to the purehero rom the developer also provides because i dont use sense. apps2sd was really easy. formatted the sd in recovery mode using the defaults it provides then flashed the rom and let dconfig do its thing. worked great for me and i have 139mb of free disk space.

So I guess it doesn't work for me because I didn't partition my SD card?

So If I partition it do you think it will work? Or will I have to reflash?

Also, how to I check to see if I have a good enough SD card for it, I read some will mess with performance

Upvote 0
So I guess it doesn't work for me because I didn't partition my SD card?

So If I partition it do you think it will work? Or will I have to reflash?

Also, how to I check to see if I have a good enough SD card for it, I read some will mess with performance

yeah all you would have to do is format your sd card in recovery, reboot, and run dconfig . it will ask for SU permissions and automatically reboot. some things i did notice though is if you want to enable JIT make sure to use home switcher to change your defualt to a different home app then sense. i tired just making helix the default in the app settings at first but that put my phone into a repetitive boot cycle but worked fine after using home switcher. im pretty sure most sd cards will work fine as all flash memory is relatively fast whether its class 2, 4 , or 6.

fyi- i moved dalvik to my sd as well and using advanced task killer set to auto kill every screen off with no overclocking widget or setcpu (both where causing major lag)

Reactions: Bat~man
Upvote 0
yeah all you would have to do is format your sd card in recovery, reboot, and run dconfig . it will ask for SU permissions and automatically reboot. some things i did notice though is if you want to enable JIT make sure to use home switcher to change your defualt to a different home app then sense. i tired just making helix the default in the app settings at first but that put my phone into a repetitive boot cycle but worked fine after using home switcher. im pretty sure most sd cards will work fine as all flash memory is relatively fast whether its class 2, 4 , or 6.

fyi- i moved dalvik to my sd as well and using advanced task killer set to auto kill every screen off with no overclocking widget or setcpu (both where causing major lag)

I don't really know what JIT is, but if I don't have to use it for apps2sd to work I won't

I'm using the OC'd version of the rom and it said not to use task killers...I'm also using sense UI, deleted helix because I was trying to make some more room on my phone.

Do you think I'm still ok to use only the apps2sd with how I have it setup now?

By the way, I appreciate the info you give =)

Upvote 0
yeah i know they say not to use a task killer but i have mine set to ignore most things and just kill my browser and some other odd programs that don't need to be running in the background. i was having some lag issues until i did this, but what works for some people has massive down sides for others.

K man, I appreciate the tips.

I'll format my sd card after work and play around with it. Hopefully I have results like you did.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones