• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Flashed Cognition...now phone force closes.

Adamantus

Oct 3, 2010
I've seen several topics on this and understand the problem: after flashing Cognition 3.04, I restored system apps with Titanium Backup that are now conflicting (every time I get a call, I get an error saying "com.Android.phone has force closed"). So I need to re-flash Cognition.

But in all the topics, no one fully explains how to re-flash the Cognition Rom. I did it initially by watching the three part video. Do I just have to go to Rom Manager and "install a rom from the SD"? Or do I have to do an Odin master clear then re-install root and then flash the ROM again? How far back into the process do I have to go to re-flash the Rom?

do the entire three step video over from the beginning, which involves flashing back to stock with odin and the master clear and whatever else is in those videos. When you use titanium backup, only back up user apps, but make sure you still back up your CONTACTS and bookmarks. Other than contacts and bookmarks, I wouldn't back up any system data.

Upvote 0
Actually I think there is an easier fix. I messed up my phone the same way you did. I was able to fix without reflashing. Do a factory data reset from the settings / privacy menu. That will wipe out all the stuff you just restored using titanium backup. Then re-enter your Google credentials and re-install titanium backup. Now you can do a restore of applications and application data only. Don't restore system data.

Upvote 0
Now you can do a restore of applications and application data only. Don't restore system data.

I think this might be the key to why you had the issue to start. I flashed the same way, using the three part tutorial video. In the tutorial, he says (and does) a restore of system data. The video does flash a message on there right after he does that saying only select applications and application data, but it's a brief note and can easily get lost when you're looking down at the phone trying to follow along.

Upvote 0
I had the same problem using MyBackup Pro and I only reinstalled apps and app data, no system settings or data. I tried it three times with the same result. I switched to Serendipity and had zero problems with reinstalling apps. Any ideas as to what the issue might be? I'd really like to get back to the Cog.

First time I installed Cognition I flashed from a stock Captivate and didn't backup anything. Just reinstalled all my apps, contacts, passwords, etc. Like it was a new phone. Never had a problem since with Titanium backups that I make for upgrades on it. Took a lot of extra time reinstalling everything the first time but I just wanted to make sure it was fresh. Not sure if it made any difference.

Upvote 0
Like Wreckoncile said, it has to do with restoring apps and system data instead of just missing apps.

On my first flashing, I did as he did in the tutorial, restoring all apps with data. What this does is restore your old system apps (such as com.android.phone) when you already have the new system apps. This overlap causes problems like the phone automatically force closing...the same thing happened to bluetooth.

I re-flashed, starting back with re-flashing the stock rom and master clearing (wanted a fresh start just in case). Instead of of restoring "all apps with data" in Titanium, I just restored "missing apps". This solved the problem and everything works fine now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones