• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Flashed Galaxy S I9000 ROM...WOW!

keredini

Jul 16, 2010
STL
So I decided to start tinkering around with the Cappy and figured, what the hell, might as well flash the ROM. Not ready to flash Froyo yet (seems pretty unstable with no true benefits for me yet) so I flashed the European I9000 ROM.

All I can say is wow! The phone feels snappy and acts responsive to everything I have thrown at it...running multiple apps without ATK, live wallpapers, etc. This is how are phones should be coming out of the box. My quadrant score is mid 900s, that will see huge improvement once the EXT partition loading is sorted.

I won't go over all of the changes between the AT&T version that ships with the phone and the I9000 rom I just loaded, but here are a few things I love with this new ROM:

• No AT&T bloatware at all.
  • AccuWeather Clock Widget (stylish pocket-watch looking clock with weather in side of it
  • Built-in Task Manager (there is a task manager built in to the UI, with a widget available. Also holding home to get to the most recent applications has a button to get to the task manager as well)
  • The notification pull down has an option to toggle GPS instead of Silent. Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and Vibration are still the other three options

One downfall so far is that the haptic feedback when using the buttons (Home, Menu, etc) is not nearly as strong as before. I will probably get used to this, but sometimes I find myself wondering if a button press 'registered' since i don't feel any feedback.

Here's a screenshot below, which shows off the AccuWeather Clock Widget and the Task Manager widget (which shows how many apps are running).

devicem.png

So I decided to start tinkering around with the Cappy and figured, what the hell, might as well flash the ROM. Not ready to flash Froyo yet (seems pretty unstable with no true benefits for me yet) so I flashed the European I9000 ROM.

All I can say is wow! The phone feels snappy and acts responsive to everything I have thrown at it...running multiple apps without ATK, live wallpapers, etc. This is how are phones should be coming out of the box. My quadrant score is mid 900s, that will see huge improvement once the EXT partition loading is sorted.

I won't go over all of the changes between the AT&T version that ships with the phone and the I9000 rom I just loaded, but here are a few things I love with this new ROM:

• No AT&T bloatware at all.
  • AccuWeather Clock Widget (stylish pocket-watch looking clock with weather in side of it
  • Built-in Task Manager (there is a task manager built in to the UI, with a widget available. Also holding home to get to the most recent applications has a button to get to the task manager as well)
  • The notification pull down has an option to toggle GPS instead of Silent. Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and Vibration are still the other three options

One downfall so far is that the haptic feedback when using the buttons (Home, Menu, etc) is not nearly as strong as before. I will probably get used to this, but sometimes I find myself wondering if a button press 'registered' since i don't feel any feedback.

Here's a screenshot below, which shows off the AccuWeather Clock Widget and the Task Manager widget (which shows how many apps are running).

devicem.png

How's the GPS?

Upvote 0
GPS is the same. Note, bluetooth issues will most likely occur. Phone speaker is fine but I had a lot of complaints that bluetooth was basically unusable due to static on the other end.

This is super fast though. Using this with samset 1.6 and a couple of the scripts, specifically the market fix, makes this money if you don't use bluetooth, unfortunatey I use it everyday so I wetn back to stock for now.

Reactions: skinien
Upvote 0
GPS is the same. Note, bluetooth issues will most likely occur. Phone speaker is fine but I had a lot of complaints that bluetooth was basically unusable due to static on the other end.

This is super fast though. Using this with samset 1.6 and a couple of the scripts, specifically the market fix, makes this money if you don't use bluetooth, unfortunatey I use it everyday so I wetn back to stock for now.

Correct, no difference in GPS for me either. I read about the bluetooth issues, will see when I drive home tonight. I had problems using the provided headphones and severe echoing anyway, so I'm not sure it will be any worse than it was before.

Which market fix are you referring to? The 'eris market fix' or is there another one. I'll probably load Samset 1.6 soon, and then Samset 1.8 once I reformat my external SD card to get the EXT partition speed increase.

Upvote 0
As for the haptic feedback intensity problem, there should be an option to change the vibration intensity in the "Sound and Display" settings menu. I am running the US ROM but I don't see why the option wouldn't be there. For me its right under the enable haptic feedback checkbox.

The setting is there but cranking it to max is barely like half in the stock att rom.

The other issue with this rom is the voice search/dial...

Upvote 0
Also, as a point of reference, I decided to list the apps that are included in this ROM that are not in the AT&T stock captivate. Here's what you will find on this ROM that is not on a stock Captivate:

• Aldiko eBook - eBook Reader
  • FM Radio - not working, unsure if the hardware supports it
  • Layar -Augmented Reality browser
  • Press Reader - eReader for newspapers
  • Samsung Apps - see below
  • Social Hub - can't remember if this was on my Captivate out of the box, looks like a place to aggregate email and texts, I have never used it
  • Task manager - Built in Task Manager / killer (integrates into the OS)
  • ThinkFree Office - productivity app to for Microsoft Office docs

The Samsung Apps is like a portal app that allows you to download the following apps:
  • Asphalt 5 - racing game
  • TV QWERTY Remote Control - remote
  • This Day in History (widget) - widget from the History Channel
  • Vlingo - speak to text, search, browse, etc.
  • RoadSMS - SMS using the camera to set background so you don't get hit by a car while walking
  • Robert Parker (widget) -wine critic widget
  • blinkx Beat - Clip aggregator / player

Upvote 0
Is there a write-up on how to do this yet?

I followed these instructions from xda:

[REF] Galaxy S I9000 ROMs (Eclair & Froyo) on Captivate - xda-developers

See the other posts in this thread for things that aren't working 100% in this ROM. Most users, myself included, have found that Bluetooth headsets aren't working correctly (the other person hears nothing but static). If BT is a big issue for you, I wouldn't recommend this. Otherwise, good luck and let us know how it goes. If for some reason you get hosed up along the way, you can always restore to the AT&T factory ROM, using the Odin 1-click program, following this link:

[STOCK ROM] Odin3 One-Click Downloader - xda-developers

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones