• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Flashed my Desire. It worked!!

Observations so far:
1.15 worked Ok, signal strength was MUCH lower, 3g and texting problems still occuring. So, it wasn't Orange's bad firmware.

1.21, getting H far more often at high speeds, also 3g "seems" to be better, but it also worked on new resets of 1.15 for a little while but so far it seems to be working, and signal strength is back to original levels.

If it goes wrong again I will swap to another SIM, which will tell me if it was Orange's network or not. If it doesn't work that suggests either a bug in 1.21 or major hardware problems and a new handset/manufacturer needed.

On a side not, the speech to text google search option has disappeared. Anyone know how to get this back?

Upvote 0
Er... no it hasn't worked after all. 3g problems back as bad as ever running 1.21.405.2. I'm thinking that it's an Orange problem :( going to check with another sim.
ARSE!

Hi,
Have just flashed my Desire to generic 1.15 ROM on Orange.

Used these great instructions:

Debranding / Unlocking an HTC Desire - The giffgaff community

The goldcard tool thing linked makes it all so easy, none of that HEX key stuff.

Only thing is the singla strength is significant worse after update. Not sure why.
Will unlock and update to newer version of firmware tomorrow.

Upvote 0
I seriously can't say I've noticed these problems bud.

I get 3G most of the time around here. I've nearly burnt up my data allowance, which started on the 1st. So I'm not having a problem getting my data package.

Only issue I had with calls and such was a few times the phone wouldn't call. But, I'd try again a few yards down the road and get straight through. Seems like an Orange problem.

I don't have any spare sims to try. I have one inactive O2 sim. Which I might try anyway because I've unlocked my phone but not actually put anything other than an Orange Sim in there!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones