• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Flashed potter on sanders..

Marth51

Lurker
Jul 31, 2019
Hi.
The thing is ... I think i'm on a big trouble, I was trying to flash a stock ROM trough fastboot(because I had and HAVE no ROM) and well .. I'm running a MOTO G5s Plus (XT1800 - SANDERS), for some reason I don't know I mismatched potter with sanders, and flashed a potter rom (g5 plus) on my sanders phone, fastboot allowed that and well, system started and booted fine, but ofc camera,wifi and some other functions won't work ... I tried everything to go back to a sanders ROM, I have access to unlocked fastboot, TWRP, but no results as fastboot tell me that i'm running a POTTER ROM, but still tells me that my phone is a SANDERS ROM and ofc I can't flash any sanders rom.. any idea out there? I know this is crazy..

Fastboot getvar:

(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: moto-msm8953-C2.12
(bootloader) product: sanders
(bootloader) board: sanders
(bootloader) secure: yes
(bootloader) hwrev: P4
(bootloader) radio: 3
(bootloader) storage-type: emmc
(bootloader) emmc: 32GB SAMSUNG RX1BMB RV=08 PV=07 FV=0000000000000007
(bootloader) ram: 3GB SAMSUNG LP3 DIE=6Gb M5=01 M6=05 M7=00 M8=7B
(bootloader) cpu: MSM8953
(bootloader) serialno: ZY322G2DJF
(bootloader) cid: 0x0032
(bootloader) channelid: 0x1a
(bootloader) uid: A0A21E0800000000000000000000
(bootloader) securestate: flashing_unlocked
(bootloader) iswarrantyvoid: yes
(bootloader) max-download-size: 534773760
(bootloader) reason: UTAG "bootmode" configured as fastboot
(bootloader) imei: ----------------
(bootloader) meid:
(bootloader) date: 02-14-2018
(bootloader) sku: XT1800
(bootloader) carrier_sku:
(bootloader) battid:
(bootloader) iccid:
(bootloader) cust_md5:
(bootloader) max-sparse-size: 268435456
(bootloader) current-time: "Thu Jan 1 18:54:31 UTC 1970"
(bootloader) ro.build.fingerprint[0]: motorola/potter_n/potter_n:8.1.0/O
(bootloader) ro.build.fingerprint[1]: PSS28.85-17-6/21457:user/release-k
(bootloader) ro.build.fingerprint[2]: eys
(bootloader) poweroffalarm: 0
(bootloader) ro.build.version.full[0]: Blur_Version.28.251.8.potter.reta
(bootloader) ro.build.version.full[1]: il.en.US
(bootloader) ro.build.version.qcom: LA.UM.6.6.r1-08600-89xx.0
(bootloader) version-baseband: M8953_41.50.07.85.01R DFLT_FSG
(bootloader) kernel.version[0]: Linux version 3.18.71-perf-gd0e0d1a (hud
(bootloader) kernel.version[1]: soncm@ilclbld33) (gcc version 4.9.x 2015
(bootloader) kernel.version[2]: 0123 (prerelease) (GCC) ) #1 SMP PREEMPT
(bootloader) kernel.version[3]: Fri Aug 10 22:52:41 CDT 2018
(bootloader) sbl1.git: git=MBM-NG-VC2.12-0-g698fb2f
(bootloader) rpm.git: git=92e5e21-dirty
(bootloader) tz.git: git=e619e20
(bootloader) devcfg.git: git=e619e20
(bootloader) keymaster.git: git=e619e20
(bootloader) cmnlib.git: git=e619e20
(bootloader) cmnlib64.git: git=e619e20
(bootloader) prov.git: git=e619e20
(bootloader) aboot.git: git=MBM-NG-VC2.12-0-g07ff23c
(bootloader) frp-state: no protection (0)
(bootloader) ro.carrier: retar
(bootloader) current-slot:
(bootloader) slot-suffixes: _a
(bootloader) slot-count: 1
(bootloader) slot-successful:_a: INVALID
(bootloader) slot-successful:_b: INVALID
(bootloader) slot-bootable:_a: INVALID
(bootloader) slot-bootable:_b: INVALID
(bootloader) slot-retry-count:_a: unknown
(bootloader) slot-retry-count:_b: unknown

As you can watch, XT1800 SANDERS is RUNNING a POTTER ROM ... I cant flash a sanders rom trough fastboot cause it will tell me ofc security downgrade and validation failed .. also running now on can't load kernel..
Ty.

UPDATE: As now, I can't find a newer Sanders firmware than the potter's one... so im stuck again. (SANDERS - 28.65, POTTER - 28.85)

if you have twrp, you should have made a nandroid backup first. and if things went wrong you can just flash the nandroid backup and you would have been to before you flashed the wrong rom.

are you flashing this through twrp? or just fastboot?
Yes that's true but well .. Im flashing trough unlocked fastboot but I can't flash sanders beucase it fails, I tried flashing trough TWRP but nothing happens, it runs me to a failed to load kernel.
I can boot to android if I flash the latest potter firmware and use the last sanders boot.img and bootloader.. It's so weird, but that's the only way to boot to android, I can't downgrade, I can't flash sanders, idk..

Upvote 0
Yes that's true but well .. Im flashing trough unlocked fastboot but I can't flash sanders beucase it fails, I tried flashing trough TWRP but nothing happens, it runs me to a failed to load kernel.
I can boot to android if I flash the latest potter firmware and use the last sanders boot.img and bootloader.. It's so weird, but that's the only way to boot to android, I can't downgrade, I can't flash sanders, idk..
ok hold on there lets take our time and get this solved. twrp and fastboot are obviously two different things. twrp is mainly used to flash custom roms....not firmware. i have never owned a moto phone so i'm not sure how firmwares are flashed. but if it is a firmware you are flashing then it will not work in twrp.

a guide for you:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/mo...lash-official-firmware-moto-g5s-plus-t3681018

and you can take your pick as to a rom if you want to try a custom rom via twrp:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-g5s-plus/development

Upvote 0
ok hold on there lets take our time and get this solved. twrp and fastboot are obviously two different things. twrp is mainly used to flash custom roms....not firmware. i have never owned a moto phone so i'm not sure how firmwares are flashed. but if it is a firmware you are flashing then it will not work in twrp.

a guide for you:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/mo...lash-official-firmware-moto-g5s-plus-t3681018

and you can take your pick as to a rom if you want to try a custom rom via twrp:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-g5s-plus/development
Well, after a bit of research, you said that about the nandroid backup .. so I searched one with the sanders firmware and woops, flashed trough twrp and system working fine, android fine, everything is fine .. So i have to thank you cause you made me remember about the nandroid bk lol! Ty men. If everyone runs to this, just flash a nandroid.

Upvote 0
Well, after a bit of research, you said that about the nandroid backup .. so I searched one with the sanders firmware and woops, flashed trough twrp and system working fine, android fine, everything is fine .. So i have to thank you cause you made me remember about the nandroid bk lol! Ty men. If everyone runs to this, just flash a nandroid.
yep always first backup everything before doing anything to the phone. nandroid backups are your friend. i would put a copy of the nandroid backup on your pc and even in cloud storage as a precaution.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones