• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Flashed TWRP, but can't boot into TWRP recovery.

pissedOfAf

Lurker
Apr 29, 2019
Hello, I successfully flashed TWRP using Kies. However booting into recovery just takes me to the default recovery mode, not the TWRP. I had USB debugging and OEM unlock turned on before doing this, and flashed the device with it in download mode. I used the correct file for TWRP recovery, did I do something wrong or is there something additional that I must do to access TWRP recovery?

The problem isn't that there's some trick to get into TWRP. The problem is that it didn't flash successfully.

When you flash a recovery it overwrites the original. So if the phone is still booting into the original the flashing didn't work, no matter what the flashing program says.

If the bootloader is unlocked can you not just use fastboot to flash, or do Samsung's have to use Odin (or Smart Switch?)?

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Common problem installing TWRP on most Samsung devices is that on reboot, the stock recovery will overwrite TWRP.
To get around it, untick Auto Reboot in Odin, flash TWRP, un plug the phone and remove the battery. Replace the battery and use the button combination to boot into recovery which should be TWRP. In TWRP, flash Magisk or SuperSu to complete the rooting process and TWRP will stick.
Phones without removable battery, leave Auto Reboot enable and when flash is complete and phone starts to reboot, press and hold volume up and home to get it to boot into recovery. Gotta be quick and catch it when it starts to reboot or stock recovery will overwrite TWRP.

Upvote 0
The problem isn't that there's some trick to get into TWRP. The problem is that it didn't flash successfully.

When you flash a recovery it overwrites the original. So if the phone is still booting into the original the flashing didn't work, no matter what the flashing program says.

If the bootloader is unlocked can you not just use fastboot to flash, or do Samsung's have to use Odin (or Smart Switch?)?

Fastboot doesn't work with this particular model, I dual boot Linux/Windows and on Linux with adb tools installed, it'll see my phone, but when I run "fastboot devices" nothing shows up. Other sources have also said fastboot doesn't work with the J7. I think I will just try a different recovery software today.

Upvote 0
Fastboot doesn't work with this particular model, I dual boot Linux/Windows and on Linux with adb tools installed, it'll see my phone, but when I run 'fastboot devices' nothing shows up. Other sources have also said fastboot doesn't work with the J7. I think I will just try a different recovery software today.

1. fastboot only works in bootloader mode.
2. ya also need fastboot dependencies installed..

Upvote 0
On the phone. You have to be in the bootloader on your phone and then enter fast boot commands
I tried it, when it's in the bootloader my computer won't reconize it, and when I have it turned on and the PC recognizing it. The command "adb reboot bootloader" just restarts the phone normally, not to the bootloader.
Common problem installing TWRP on most Samsung devices is that on reboot, the stock recovery will overwrite TWRP.
To get around it, untick Auto Reboot in Odin, flash TWRP, un plug the phone and remove the battery. Replace the battery and use the button combination to boot into recovery which should be TWRP. In TWRP, flash Magisk or SuperSu to complete the rooting process and TWRP will stick.
Phones without removable battery, leave Auto Reboot enable and when flash is complete and phone starts to reboot, press and hold volume up and home to get it to boot into recovery. Gotta be quick and catch it when it starts to reboot or stock recovery will overwrite TWRP.

Thank you goood sir, worked exactly as described. The only thing I found was the TWRP-2.8.7.0XXX image didn't work, which is what all the guides used. I had to use one called twrp_3.0.3-1_sm-j700t_23217.tar which did the trick.

Thanks again everyone!

Upvote 0

I tried this one but when I did, my phone got stuck on the "Samsung Galaxy J7 Prime powered by android" screen and I can't even access the recovery mode. I can only access the download mode. Please help. I'm considering flashing a stock firmware, should I or should I flash another recovery?

Upvote 0
What can i do next if stock recovery overwrites TWRP. I am stuck in warning screen in my samsung f41. Kindly guide me, i don't have much knowledge about it.

Upvote 0
have you tried anything from this post above?
What can i do next if stock recovery overwrites TWRP. I am stuck in warning screen in my samsung f41. Kindly guide me, i don't have much knowledge about it.
what happened to your phone to get you in this state? is the phone rooted? what have you tried that did not work? we need more info if you want us to help.

Upvote 0
have you tried anything from this post above?

what happened to your phone to get you in this state? is the phone rooted? what have you tried that did not work? we need more info if you want us to help.
Somehow i booted into download mode and using odin i downloaded twrp and this time autoreboot option unticked.Then i restarted and pressed timely to get into twrp and flashed "disable dm verity" and rebooted.Finally it went into the system without problems. Thank you for your reply.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones