1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Flashing a ROM question....

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by DaRayvn, Aug 17, 2011.

1. DaRayvn

DaRayvn Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 15, 2011
    Grand Rapids
    Ok so i want to put a rom on my phone now but have some questions....

After i rooted my phone i went and loaded all my contacts and dowloaded some of my apps...app list backup, sms backup, busybox installer pro, Titanium Backup pro, and dropbox....i've been using the phone a lot calling and texting n whatnot so basically i was wondering if there was anything i had to do before i flashed a rom?? can all that stuff stay?? or do you gotta get rid of it all like when u do the factory reset before rooting??

In the flashing section it says make a nandoid backup, and im just wondering why?? I have the nandroid backup from after i rooted, already on the sd card...is it because you are adding the new .zip files to your card?

I think im gonna try the Mik 2.45 rom and see if i like it....is there a kernel that runs really good with that? or is the one already in the Rom good enough?

Advertisement

2. An UrgeTo Dance

An UrgeTo Dance The Hero of the Winds
    None

Jul 22, 2010
    Male
    When you wipe in recovery it will completely wipe everything like a factory reset, although it will be a lot easier to get all the apps back because you will have Titanium Backup to restore everything.

Nandroid before you flash anything because if something goes wrong, you have something to fall back on.

That is a good ROM and I heard the Golden Monkey kernel is good, but I have never tried it.

3. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Android Expert
    None

Feb 20, 2011
    /home/
    Well, a nandroid is basically a copy of phone as is. This means that you can mess up your phone quite a bit, and still get back to how it was. Which is good.

Read through the rooting for dummies guide, it has a lot of information about rooting in general.

I think the golden monkey kernel might work with that (I've been staying with AOSP for a while).

4. DaRayvn

None

Aug 15, 2011
    Grand Rapids

Wiping in recovery, is that refering to the dalvik cache, cache, and data? i read somewhere on a thread that you should wipe those 3 , 3 times before you flash, is that correct?? i've been looking for the thread but i cant find it now lol...

5. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Android Expert
    None

Feb 20, 2011
    /home/
    Well, yeah. You can. Don't have to. Basically, it makes it far less likely for the formatting to miss something. It started out, there was a flash file (Caulkin's Wipe All) that did all three for you automattically. Then there is the super zip that does caulkin's three times. So three is the magic number. Doing these manually is a good thing, that way you don't have to rely on a zip file. Keeps the mind sharp, yeah?

6. DaRayvn

None

Aug 15, 2011
    Grand Rapids

sharp, yah i would have to agree with u there lol....

when i go into titanium backup and the backup/restore tab, there is a HUGE list, some are red, some are green, and some are white....should you backup everything? or just backup the apps you downloaded off the market??

7. DaRayvn

None

Aug 15, 2011
    Grand Rapids
    dam, the mikmik site is down....well so much for downloading a ROM from him...

8. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Android Expert
    None

Feb 20, 2011
    /home/
    I actually just use TB to back up apps that have data that I want (Ie PewPew or something, dropbox for example)

Apps that don't need data (google goggles) I'll get the .apk file from astro (TB can do this, but I like astro).

9. Sarge1721

Sarge1721 Member
    None

Jul 26, 2010
    Sony DADC
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    The GM Kernel with Mik2.45 is a combo that can't be beat. It's the only way to fly.

Tags: