• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

flashing a rom, question

well, this rom went from good to crap. no 3g data, only picks up 4g. no mms fix works on it for my phone, not even the cricketmms.apk file that worked on the stock rom (albeit barely).

on the stock rom, mms was being sent VIA 3g. on 4g, its not even trying to switch from wireless to mobile data. cant edit APN either, not even showing up in titanium. apn shortcuts didnt work either. think im gonna stick with the stock rom and leave it at that. at least mms was half working

-edit-

the rom is good, dont get me wrong, but mms just would not work. i recovered my stock image from the recovery i made and MMS is actually working really good now from both phones.

Upvote 0
well, this rom went from good to crap. no 3g data, only picks up 4g. no mms fix works on it for my phone, not even the cricketmms.apk file that worked on the stock rom (albeit barely).

on the stock rom, mms was being sent VIA 3g. on 4g, its not even trying to switch from wireless to mobile data. cant edit APN either, not even showing up in titanium. apn shortcuts didnt work either. think im gonna stick with the stock rom and leave it at that. at least mms was half working

-edit-

the rom is good, dont get me wrong, but mms just would not work. i recovered my stock image from the recovery i made and MMS is actually working really good now from both phones.

flash the GB27 modem to fix your data. You manually enter MMS server settings on TW Roms in the hidden data menu ##3282# (you need your MSL to enter the data)

Upvote 0
thats the problem. i tried *everything* i could think of, everything i found on the net, everything i found on xda and cricket users. none of the solutions worked. the apn shortcuts was working, but again, as with 4.0.4, when entered 320 then 016, the apn disappears.

in titanium backup, i could not locate an mms.apk. i even installed the cricketmms.apk that solves the issue on most phones its installed on and no go. seems that its a problem with phones that keep reverting to the default values for some reason.

once i flashed my recovery and reinstalled cricketmms.apk, mms works almost flawlessly now, over 3/4g.

i have my MSL and the only way i havent tried is the ##data# and editing the info inside there manually.

Upvote 0
flash the GB27 modem to fix your data. You manually enter MMS server settings on TW Roms in the hidden data menu ##3282# (you need your MSL to enter the data)

when i had this rom installed, i did flash the gb27 modem right after flashing the rom. i was only able to get 4g connectivity (no 3g) but i did not try editing the info with ##data#

when i get home (have to go run a few errands), im going to reinstall the rom and check it out.

question:

can i make a recovery of the blu kuban rom and use that to recover, just like i did with my stock rooted? mainly to give the option for 'fast switching' between roms that doesnt require wiping everything, reflashing the rom and then the modem.

Upvote 0
Okay you seem to be having difficulty. I would say get your MSL and also write down your mms server settings for URL,IP, and port. Then do a one click install of GB27 rooted then get your MMS working. Verify data is working (doing a SCRTN reset if needed). Once you have verified it is working for that, then go through the install process for the TW JB ROM (Blu Kuban) you want.

Upvote 0
see, right now i have working MMS on a stock 4.1.2 build, rooted.

when i tried using mms fix on blu kuban, i kept getting a gateway error (not a time out error). would running a one click root be an issue if im already rooted?

like i said, its working now, just didnt want to work on blu kuban.

-edit-

just noticed im still on GB27 modem. will this be an issue?

Upvote 0
see, right now i have working MMS on a stock 4.1.2 build, rooted.

when i tried using mms fix on blu kuban, i kept getting a gateway error (not a time out error). would running a one click root be an issue if im already rooted?

like i said, its working now, just didnt want to work on blu kuban.

-edit-

just noticed im still on GB27 modem. will this be an issue?

Is your 3g data working while on the G 27 baseband? If so then you are ok to stay on it. On TW ROMs, you enter the settings for MMS manually not with a mmsfix zip file flashed. In the ROM you have with working MMS, go into the hidden menu of #3282# choose view and others, then look at each of the MMSC settings and write down the settings for your setup.

Reactions: Doc
Upvote 0
hm well its working for me but id like to have as few things going as possible. since i can edit the settings in #3282#, can i just set those to cricket's info, or install the cricket file in the xda thread i linked?

thnks so much for yalls help, really appreciate it. this has been the most troublesome phone ive ever rooted/flashed to get fully flashed.

Upvote 0
You should be able to, but if it is working I wouldn't worry about doing that. If you can just install that same app while you are using Blu Kuban, I would say use it.

that was the mms fix i was referencing in a post up there ^^ and it didnt work in blu kuban. blu kuban wouldnt even see 3g for some reason, would only connect to 4g :\

to be fair, im only connected to 4g on the stock rom and its working fine. i couldnt get it to work without an error as soon as i hit send on blu kuban.

Upvote 0
Yes I understand that you are using an MMS client replacement app. A true fix would modify those MMSC settings otherwise. I do suggest trying out the GB27 one click because it is the same as GC01 except for labeling, bloat, and MMS settings if you do the full restore one click (the nodata one click will retain your existing data settings).

Reactions: Doc
Upvote 0
Yes I understand that you are using an MMS client replacement app. A true fix would modify those MMSC settings otherwise. I do suggest trying out the GB27 one click because it is the same as GC01 except for labeling, bloat, and MMS settings if you do the full restore one click (the nodata one click will retain your existing data settings).

link? google brings up links ive already visited (i googled 'gb27 one click). would love to try something that solves everything and not require me to install other stuff to get mms working :)

thanks!

Upvote 0
I have done some reading on Cricket and I have found information stating they do have some of their own towers and only use Sprint towers for areas where they don't (roaming). I am wondering if this might have an affect. Boost uses Sprint towers exclusively, thus a Boost user has no problems at all using a Sprint ROM. At this point I say hold off on doing a odin flash to GB27.

This being the case, Cricket would not be a MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator). Boost on the other hand, is..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones