• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

flashing a rom, question

what does TW mean? ive seen that around but cannot find the definition of it :\

also, does this mean i could install a rom ment for the cricket gs2 on my gs2 with no issues?

finally, im rooted with AGAT as recovery. i made a backup but when i tried to recover with it, i got an md5 hash error. is there any way to verify a backup is good before i do stuff that might brick my phone?

Upvote 0
A TW ROM is a Touch Wiz ROM (this is what Samsung's ROMs are). As long as the ROM is for the SPH-D710 (the model number for our phone *ignoring the letters after which only signify what firmware is on it when it was shipped*) for the same network you should be fine.

Which exact kernel are you using? a m5d error can mean a corrupt backup I would make another.

Reactions: thejerk and Doc
Upvote 0
ive switched since then

android version - 4.1.2
kernel version - 3.0.74+, Garwynn@SXTPBuildBox #GC01_v.0.5.0

i havent made a backup of this kernel yet. when i did, i used AGAT to make it and was on an AGAT kernel (i think).

since then i have flashed CWM with rom manager (it wouldnt flash in 4.0.4) and am making a backup now with it.

-edit-

actually, i see im flashed to CWM in rom manager, but when i tried to reboot to recovery with vol + / power, it booted me into AGAT. seems the only way to get into CWM is to boot into AGAT, install the CWM zip i got from the CWM website, then it switches to CWM and i started the backup process.

Upvote 0
Okay version 0.5.0 of Garwynn's kernel uses the Agat recovery. It should work fine. I am on 0.4.1 of Garwynn's kernel which uses CWM, but otherwise is the same kernel as 0.5.0

ive read that AGAT can cause hard bricks on certain flashes... thats why im cautious about using it.

the recovery i have was made with 0.6.8 of AGAT and both backups i made gave the same error (corrupt md5)

finally, another thing ive seen with this phone is also knowing what modem youre using and flashing a new one. what is that and what part of ODIN would i look at to flash that (Everything ive read says its flashed with ODIN).

Upvote 0
okat Agat 0.6.8 is for ICS ROMs only and won't handle GC01 which is a TW Jelly Bean ROM. Partitions in the phone changed when Samsung put out the TW Jelly Bean ROMs with the addition of the /preload partition.

Modem's are the Baseband on your phones about device screen in settings. A TW JB ROM has to use the modems meant for it (ie you need GC01 modem for GC01 Jelly Bean. All ICS and AOSP ROMs (ICS and JB) use an ICS modem. When flashing a different ROM, READ and FOLLOW the instructions in the OP for that ROM. I suggest you take time time to read the entire post as it will save you headaches in the future. Modems can be flashed with Odin but not mobile Odin and some recoveries can do it for the ones in zip format (some recovery kernels have issues with flashing a modem). Many modems are available in a one click install and I recommend that as the installer is configured already.

Upvote 0
You need to flash gb27 modem

flashing a modem isnt listed in the steps on the xda dev link i found

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1625535

if i need to flash a modem, ill just leave it stock. having to install something just to install something else and both can brick = too complicated.

on my old vitality, i flash CWM, then flash the rom i want and thats it.

-edit-

looks like its a GB rom, which is a few steps below JB (which im on). id prefer to stick with a JB rom.

Upvote 0
Blu Kuban is JB. Flash everything in recovery and the modem gets flashed right after ROM. No big deal.

so then the instructions on the xda page are good? it doesnt mention flashing a modem at all... only this:

Boot to recovery
Make an NAND Backup
Wipe the phone (with the Format All X2 script)
Flash the ROM
Boot the phone
Go to the updater (Under the stock section) and install Part 2 (Two part install is to finish theming Talk)
Reboot and Enjoy

do that and i should be good, no? just wanna make sure before i begin the flash. backing up nand now.

sorry if i sounded like a dick, im trying to go with whatever requires as little flashing as possible and did not mean to sound dickish :)

Upvote 0
OK if our coming from gc01, ur phone is already partitioned correctly for installing a TW rom, which blu Kuban is. So u don't need to flash the format script. I'm assuming you're on the correct kernel and recovery.
Wipe data twice, then wipe cache and dalvik cache.
Now flash blu Kuban zip. Now flash gb27 modem zip. Then reboot system and you're good.

Which kernel do you have ?

Reactions: thejerk and Doc
Upvote 0
sorry if i sounded like a dick, im trying to go with whatever requires as little flashing as possible and did not mean to sound dickish :)

LOL no worries man, your just nervous, just follow what greg said and it will work out fine, if he is on GC01 then he has the correct kernel and can do what you instructed and it will come out fine......;)

Reactions: greg schmeg
Upvote 0
LOL no worries man, your just nervous, just follow what greg said and it will work out fine, if he is on GC01 then he has the correct kernel and can do what you instructed and it will come out fine......;)

yep im on GC01, backup finished on CWM, creating one on AGAT just in case.

soon as thats done, flash i go.

-edit-

instructions dont mention flashing a modem. however i found the gb27.zip file on xda, will follow your instructions and report back soon.

Reactions: Doc
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones