1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Flashing clockworkmod....

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Deleted User, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

So I went S-Off, installed the official OTA, and went to flash clockworkmod in fastboot.

'fastboot flash recovery recovery.img'

'FAILED: remote not allowed'

Any ideas? :p Device displays correctly on 'fastboot devices'. I'm a bit baffled.

Advertisement

2. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Go to dougpiston.com and download cwm in the from of a PB31IMG. Place on Fat32 formatted sd card and flash through hboot.

Deleted User likes this.
  3. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Is there any specific reason it won't flash through fastboot? I'm just curious now.

4. iowabowtech

Is the file actually called recovery.img or something else?

5. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Yeah, I renamed it to make it easier. It was originally 'recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-inc.img'. That's alright, I think I'll just do as you said and go with 2.5.1.2 because that's what I know anyhow.

6. iowabowtech

Yeah, I may be off base here but I think the remote not allowed is an error received due to lack of superuser (#). So I'm guessing to fastboot flash recovery you need to have SU. However i cannot guarantee the validty of that statement.

7. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

I could see that for the simple fact that you can flash_image with su...

8. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

This phone is just full of fun...I installed superuser from market, it informed me of an update and downloaded the .zip to my SD card. I then booted into CWM, went to flash it and was told (bad) installation aborted...*sigh* lol

9. iowabowtech

I didn't know superuser updated in that fashion. Did you try reflashing clockwork using the top menu option in Rom manager? Maybe if you have an older version of cwm still, it could conflict. Just a guess.

10. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

I installed it entirely in cwm and it seems fine now. I've had one interesting night lol.

11. iowabowtech

LMAO, I've had one of those days too. Started out rooted, unrooted for the ruu, had a totally weird experience running the Rom.zip, rerooted the same way you did, nand restore and finally back to normal. All in the name of science lol. Last time I'm unrooting this phone, enough's enough.

12. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Luckily you were around to point me to CWM. It woulda drove me crazy and I have to be in bed soon. The whole reason I'm rerooting tonight is because I have a flight tomorrow and I'm meeting with my best friend. We'll be traveling a bit and I wanted wifi tether for his laptop. He's on leave from italy, so he has no state-side phone of any sort lol.

13. iowabowtech

Is your wireless tether app working ok? My old standby wouldn't load into GB. I had to switch apps.

14. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Okay, that's strange. Seems superuser didn't take. Trying again. I'll try to give you an answer on that lol.

15. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Holy hell. Super user kept force closing on certain apps. adb uninstall, reinstalled in clockwork. Was just about to push it and su via adb and then I decided to try clearing data. It worked!

Now to my answer: yes, wireless tether appears to work. I haven't attempted to connect anything to it as I don't have any wireless devices on me, but it runs. :)

Wow...certain apps are eatting it alive. I don't understand why.

16. iowabowtech

Not sure why my old, classic wirless tether app (Muller, Lemons, Buxton...tons of people used it) didn't work but I read others were having the problem too. Anyway, sounds like yours might be good. If you run into a problem once you get a device hooked up, type "wireless tether" in the market and one of the first few apps to show up is wireless tether by Open Garden. That app works like a champ on 2.3.4. Just mentioned it in case you find out otherwise and need to make a last minute maneuver.

17. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Thanks. Currently I'm trying to figure out why the hell SU keeps FCing...

18. iowabowtech

If worse comes to worse, uninstall it and put this on the card and flash through cwm:

http://downloads.androidsu.com/superuser/su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip

I didn't have any probs with it. Pulled it from one of Wildstang's posts, worked like a peach. One other thing, I had to uninstall SetCPU. Stock kernel doesn't utilize it anyway and it was FC'ing on my even though I didn't have it to start on boot. Kinda odd.

19. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

AHMYGAWD. So I found that same thing here: Superuser 2.3.6.3 [17 June 2011]

And he states it was uploaded to market. So I decided 'what the hell?' and installed it from market. (It was currently installed via flash!) It installed, updated, updated the binary, and works like a charm. 2.3.6.3 with the 2.3.6.2 binary. lol

20. iowabowtech

Cool. All's well that ends well. One thing about it, you're gaining a good deal of knowledge today. It makes you half crazy and half more likely to go deeper into the root world. :D

21. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Very true. I've always skimmed the surface because automatic tools like unrevoked. Interesting to know a bit more of what goes on manually. :) The most I've done before is flash roms.

iowabowtech likes this.