1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Flashing from KG6 to KG5 - little help please

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Lordbarker, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Lordbarker

Lordbarker Newbie
    None

Aug 8, 2011
    Hi all,

I have read a lot of guides here and on XDA forums and can't seem to find an answer. Please excuse my newb stupidity just looking for some clarification.

Had a mate do my original flash on my phone - currently running Lite'Ning Rom on KG6. Due to poor battery performace, and after trying everything (battery calibration, freezing processes etc.) I thought I might go to KG5.

However, I am a little confused by the process. I have read a lot of guides and know that flashing from 6 to 5 makes the phone bootloop so needs to be reset.

I know it wipes the phone- I wondered (and please forgive my stupidity!) if that means it wipes all apps etc.? If so can I backup with Titanium before and then simply restore afterwards?

Also will I need to re-root the phone after changing to KG5? Do I need to return to stock f/ware for any reason?

I have looked at some guides etc. as I mentioned but I cannot find an exact answer to my question. I just want to know the simplest way to go from KG6 to KG5 and still keep the Lite'Ning Rom as am happy with my handset apart form battery issues. I have CWM on the phone currently and I'm assuming all the neccesary apps phone-wise as was already flashed and rooted before as I say, by a friend.

Again, please excuse me if this is obvious:eek:

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

2. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

yes, flashing anything over KG6 seems to require a wipe. and yes, a wipe complete erases everything.. apps, system data.. its a factory reset, meaning the phone is like how u got it from the factory (when it was new) out of the box :D

u will lose root each time u update firmware, so yes u have to re-root. like idid, use titanium backup to make a complete backup of everything. it does a great job, even restores ur homescreen layout, app drawer layout, everything. just do a reboot after u restore from titanium, and ur phone is exactly how it was pre-wipe. u just need to drag the widgets back in, i think.. thats all.. titanium is a great app

Lordbarker likes this.
  3. Lordbarker

Lordbarker Newbie
    None

Aug 8, 2011
    Ok great.
    So how do I actually go about doing this!?

I've seen the KG5 Poland f/ware link - is that what I'd need?

Also would I need to reflash with Lite'Ning or would Titanium keep that to be restored?

Cheers again.

4. Lordbarker

Lordbarker Newbie
    None

Aug 8, 2011
    Ok, just did a reflash and put the phone on KG5 along with Lite'ning and still the same prob with the batter. I pretty much give up with this phone :(

5. Slug

Slug Check six!
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    Lite'ning is a KG6 ROM so flashing it will replace KG5.

6. Lordbarker

Lordbarker Newbie
    None

Aug 8, 2011
    Dang! Thought I could run it with KG5 - can you recommend one that is as quick as lite'ning rom but compatiblity with KG5?
    Cheers

EDIT: Hmm checked my phone info and it's definitely running the KG5 I installed and Lite'ning Rom.

7. Slug

Slug Check six!
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    Sure it's not the KG5 modem you're seeing? The KG5 update probably installed both firmware and modem but Lite'ning would only replace the firmware.

8. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

im actually not sure how it works when ur updating from a custom rom. i think ur better off waiting for litening rom to release a KG5 version or something, so u can just update via CWM. if u flashed KG5 now, are u still running litening rom? i thought u'd now be back on the stock firmware not a custom rom?

9. Lordbarker

Lordbarker Newbie
    None

Aug 8, 2011
    Ok this is weird. I went to 100% last night and hit the battery calibration again so it was at 100% at 11.20pm. After some light use then being in sleep most of the night I checked at 9.20am and it's at 90%, so losing 10% in 10 hours while in sleep. I actually thought that was quite good and seems to be back to what I'd call normal. Is this the usual, that it loses power while sleeping?

Slug it could be the modem I'm seeing, but where it said KG6 before in the info. It now says KG5, hmmm.

On a similar topic can I flash Ninephetamine right over KG5?

Cheers again.

10. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

yes its normal to lose battery charge while the phone is on sleep.. depending on wat u've got going on in the background. 10% in 10 hours is very good, i think :D i left my phone unplugged overnight.. at 11 30pm it was 28% percent and at 9am (same time as urs) it was 9% so thats like double the drain while sleeping.

Lordbarker likes this.
  11. Slug

Slug Check six!
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    In Settings/About phone/, "Baseband version" is the modem and "Build number" is the firmware itself.

Yes, you can flash it either with Odin (in the PDA section) or if you're rooted from the CWM app.

12. Lordbarker

Lordbarker Newbie
    None

Aug 8, 2011
    Perhaps it is 6 in that case

[​IMG][/URL]

13. Slug

Slug Check six!
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    Firmware and modem are KG6. The kernel is Chainfire's KG5 one.