1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Flashing Hboot - Small cache

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by HTCandroid, May 27, 2011.

1. HTCandroid

HTCandroid Well-Known Member

hey y'all

Now I understand that having a small cache has its negatives.

Ones I know about:

1. Can't download big apps from market
    2. Can't flash radio
    3. problem playing games (this does not matter)

So is there any I'm missing? and is there ways around the ones iv mentioned?

I would not flash radio often at all so that ain't a big problem, but if i was going to I could do this this with android flasher?

thanks

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Usta

Usta Android Expert

Which ROM are you using? Certain ROMs like Redux and CM7 have a special script called "06mountdl" that compensates the small cache by downloading data to another location.
    I have 5MB cache only, but thanks to this script I can download anything I like from Market to my phone with CM7 ROM.

HTCandroid likes this.
  3. HTCandroid

Im using devnull atm, but switch roms probably more often than I should lol

I don't think it has that script, would it be possible to add it?

4. HTCandroid

"Using "quick system information" please can you tell me your /cache partition size and how much free / used space it has?"

quote from SUroot in a thread asking about the same thing.

looking at quick system info it says that my system cache is 13.84gb with free 2.50 gb - which is exactly the same as my SD card storage.... so does that mean that it is using my memory card somehow and will be fine?

5. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

Maybe its using an expandable RAM disk. Download a big app or game.like cordy to test downloads.

Won't help with radio though. But if you have fastboot flash available it doesn't matter anyway.

I tested need for speed with 3MB cache and noticed no difference what so ever

HTCandroid likes this.
  6. HTCandroid

Okay il test it out. If it does not work can I just flash in recovery the script in your dropbox of useful downloads?

I can use Android Flasher to fastboot flash a radio right?

7. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

You can or you can use the fastboot command line from windows command prompt. Have a look at the adb and fastboot faq in my signature.

I'm confident that you can download as whatever QSI shows as cache should be what android sees as cache and thats what matters.

If you have a 25MB /cache and want to download 27MB app, it doesnt get to 25MB downloaded then stop. It stops immediately so its not that it gets full and cannot download anymore, rather it assesses the amount of registered cache and doesnt download if its not enough.

I linked cache to my ext partition once and could download apps bigger than my cache partition so it should all be good.

HTCandroid likes this.
  8. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Extreme Android User

also it means you cannot flash radio from recovery, you have to use fastboot or you can brick

HTCandroid likes this.
  9. HTCandroid

big apps download fine. thanks everyone

HTC Desire Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews