1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Flashing kernels for stock roms on rfs

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by titetanium, Sep 16, 2012.

1. titetanium

titetanium Newbie

I'm interested in flashing the kk 2.5 to my rooted but otherwise stock rom on rfs. I just want the swap option enabled as I have my phone set up the way I l ike it. The only 2 problems are CWM doesn't do rfs, and I can't seem to find a custom kernel that supports rfs natively. Let me be clear: I'm interested in a stock kernel with the swap function enabled (on sdcard). Is there such a kernel or do I have to roll my own? If I have to roll my own kernel, can someone point me to the kernel source and instructions?

2nd, on a side note: (warning: stupid question) why are most of the custom roms focused on ext4 instead of rfs? I've never been a fan of ext filesystems, whether it' s 2, 3, or 4, in case you're wondering about the thrust of my questions.

Thank you for your answers.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Lordvincent 90

Lordvincent 90 ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

simple answer- no. There is currently no kernel with both rfs and swap support. You would have to build one.

Slightly less simple answer- use half ass rom... It's the stock rom built to run ext4 (thus making it compatible with kouma kernel AND allowing you to use the extended memory feature)

And as for ext4, i believe it's supposed to be faster and allow journaling. But that's a question best for Hroark (no longer a member of this forum, but he was the person who suggested using it) or perhaps Kouma (the king of kernel modification

3. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Android Expert

If you can make a swap kernel for stock i would like to try it.
    IM running stock as well.

4. titetanium

titetanium Newbie

I've run linux on my computers since '02. Started with ext3 as my main file system until I started having errors when shutting down/rebooting my laptop forcefully. It drove me crazy to have to fix the mess, especially if one of the inodes was corrupted. A real PITA compared to xfs, which I use now. But android doesn't use xfs, but reiserfs (rfs?) instead, from what I am understanding. Reiser is supposedly better than ext in almost every way though ext is well supported for ages. Ext reserves space for the inodes, about 5% or so. Reiser doesn't reserve any space thus giving you more space to use while providing better journalling. That's just for starters...

Lordvincent 90 likes this.
  5. Lordvincent 90

You seem knowledgeable in this subject (me, not so much)

I would be interested in checking out anything you might be willing to contribute. :)

Note-some people have experienced issues with restoring cwm backups with rfs. (It would appear that cwm doesn't like to format the partitions to rfs)

i haven't played with it to much, but Hroark (who made our cwm) says this was fixed, and i think it may simply be that the roms do not contain the fixed version. (just speculation, as i don't have a stock backup to try this against, and i have been fairly busy and have not had time to Odin back to stock and try)

6. titetanium

titetanium Newbie

Ok, I've decided to roll my own stock kernel with swap and compcache (zram) enabled. Plus, the cpu governor is set to ondemand by default. These are the only changes I'm going to make to the kernel for now. Going to try to pack it and flash it to my phone sometime today or tmw and test. If it works good, I'm willing to post the kernel package if someone is willing to host it for downloading.

7. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Android Expert

Can't wait to see this.

8. Lordvincent 90

titetanium likes this.
  9. titetanium

titetanium Newbie

Thanks for the link LV! I read up on it and downloaded it as well as Hroark13's github kernel source (he updated to 2.6.35.14). I'm kind of old school, compiling the kernel is easy as I compile all of my custom kernels for every laptop I own. It's the packaging for android that I was unfamiliar with. Instead of using the scripts provided by the kernel factory, I just took apart the scripts and typed it all out by hand to see what does what. I think it's all packaged up now. About to flash it via cwm.

10. titetanium

titetanium Newbie

Ok, I flashed it and it failed to boot. I took apart the original kernel from samsung and I can see why my kernel didn't work. Fortunately, I figured out how to create a flashable cwm file for the original kernel and got my phone working without using odin. No need to wipe data or dalvik-cache. There appears to be code for the rfs file system missing in the kernel source samsung provided for download, which explains why hroark13, kouma, blooddawn, etc didn't make any custom kernels that runs on rfs. However, I managed to track down some of the source code for the rfs file system, but it was modified to patch to the linux kernels. I'm going to go thru the patch to see if I can modify it to patch into the android kernel source. If you can hang on while I take a bumpy ride to sort this out, I will get this working on stock roms.

11. inigomontoyasr

inigomontoyasr Android Enthusiast

The rfs modules (rfs_fat.ko, rfs_glue.ko) are still in a few of the kernel folders in hpkf in /lib/modules. Also, in reading your previous posts there seems to be a bit of a misunderstanding. The rfs used in samsung phones is actually Robust File System, a proprietary fat16/32 file system, not ReiserFS. That being said, I always got a little better battery life using the stock rfs.

Samsung Galaxy Prevail Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Prevail release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 2MP camera, GB RAM, MSM7627-3 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews