• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Flashing LG Volt to Page Plus Cellular

What network is Page Plus? Because Boost Mobile is IDEN which makes it difficult to work with other carriers unless the VOLT is TRI or QUAD band you MAY NOT be able to put it on Page Plus but I honestly don't know.. I will try my best to figure it out... Good luck!;)

I found a forum/thread that could possibly be of some help to you. It can be found here. From what I understand is you can FOR SURE flash it but I'm not sure how... maybe you can PM him? I'm sure he would help but as is mentioned in the thread "THE DEADLINE FOR FLASHING NON-VERIZON PHONES IS JANUARY 15th, 2015" so I would hurry up and try to figure it out;) Once again best of luck to flashing your Volt, wish I could be more help!;)

http://slickdeals.net/f/7143360-i-help-flash-phones-for-the-community-for-free

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What network is Page Plus? Because Boost Mobile is IDEN which makes it difficult to work with other carriers unless the VOLT is TRI or QUAD band you MAY NOT be able to put it on Page Plus but I honestly don't know.. I will try my best to figure it out... Good luck!;)
Boost is CDMA, Boost hasn't offered an iDEN phone for a couple of years now

Upvote 0
Boost is CDMA, Boost hasn't offered an iDEN phone for a couple of years now
That is true;) I was so used to Boost being iDEN, I forgot. I do know that when you ask a major BYOD carrier like T-Mobile to flash your phone they sometimes deny with the fact of Boost Mobile being iDEN. I do forget that they are wrong like most carriers always are:):) but thank you Gendo for pointing that out!!

Upvote 0
you cannot flash cdma phones legally from one carrier to another.
This may be true but in an article from THIS eBay FAQ/Forum Thing it says..

"Cricket Flashing is legal!

Cell phone unlocking is completely legal, recently the Copyright Office issued new rules allowing people to circumvent
technological protection measures on their cell phones in order to be able to switch carriers and use the phone on a
different network.

About CDMA Flashing/Unlocking:

CDMA technology is used by Sprint, Verizon, Alltel, Qwest, Metro PCS & Cricket. GSM technology is used primarily by T-Mobile and AT&T.
Some CDMA providers put a lock on their phone to block it from being used on a different provider other then there own. This is referred
to as a SPC. (Service Provider Code) Before you can Flash/Unlock a cell phone you have to determine if it has a SPC lock code."

I do understand it refers nothing to Page Plus, Boost, and is primarily talking about Cricket which is somewhat irrelevant. Although is does say that "cell phone unlocking is completely legal," and that the "CO issued new rules allowing people to circumvent technological protection measures on their cell phones in order to be able to swiych carriers and use the phone on a different network." With that being said I would say that Mkibes is okay to flash his phone. But that is just me and to be honest I think the Mkibes will flash anyway if he can learn how.

If there is something I missed I would be more than happy to be corrected;)

Upvote 0
Unlocking a phone and flashing it to another carrier as he is describing are completely different things.
When you unlock a phone, you still have to get the new carrier to allow your phone to get service. Flashing is essentially sneaking your phone into their network/service without permission. Basically the cell phone equivalent of breaking and entering.

Upvote 0
Unlocking a phone and flashing it to another carrier as he is describing are completely different things.
When you unlock a phone, you still have to get the new carrier to allow your phone to get service. Flashing is essentially sneaking your phone into their network/service without permission. Basically the cell phone equivalent of breaking and entering.

Thank you so much for helping me understand the difference!:)

Reactions: bg4m3r
Upvote 0
Actually, as far as I understand it, there are 2 ways to flash a phone onto a different provider. But first, I should explain that there are two types of phone carriers:
  1. Carriers that will not let you activate a phone from a different carrier on their network - this includes mostly post-paid networks such as VZW and Sprint.
  2. Carriers who don't care which phone you bring on their network - this includes Ting, T-Mobile, etc. (But even here, there is a caveat - even these providers may "blacklist" some phones).
The general (but by no means comprehensive) rule is that if you pay by contract, you probably fall into the first category; if not, you're probably in the second.
As far as I knew, PagePlus was always in the first category. They let you bring a CDMA phone from a non-Verizon carrier onto their network (which is actually the Verizon network).
To accomplish this with a phone that was not initially programmed by VZW or PagePlus, you would have to "flash" the network settings in the phone. This would tell a Sprint phone, for example, to now look for service on the Verizon network instead.
AFAIK, this method is completely legal as opposed to the second method I will mention below.
However, I have recently heard (but haven't been able to verify) that PagePlus will be changing their policy and will not allow you to activate non-VZW/PagePlus phones on their network anymore (maybe that's the deadline @BallerHaller was referring to).

If that's the case with PagePlus, and in the case of the more restrictive carriers, there is apparently no legal way to activate a foreign (i.e. "not theirs") phone on their network. The only way to accomplish this would be to "clone" the serial (ESN/MEID) number of an approved phone onto the foreign phone - essentially tricking the network into thinking the foreign phone is actually one of their own. This is somewhat equivalent to changing a car's VIN number.
Besides for being sneaky, this solution is where you enter gray areas - changing a car's VIN is definitely illegal, and by the looks of it, so is changing a phone's ESN (you could always ask the FCC for further clarification). Besides, most carriers have authentication systems to verify that your phone is actually who it says it is.

In short:
If PagePlus allows you to activate foreign ESNs on their network, the phone would still need to be reprogrammed or "flashed" to be able to recognize and proritize PagePlus/VZW towers.
If the policy at PagePlus has changed, you're kind of out of luck.

Hope this helps clarify things! :)

Upvote 0
Nice write up elisam. Yes, those of us waving the illegal flag were referring to the second group. I wouldn't really consider the first group 'flashing' since those settings can all be changed in the ##DATA# menu, provided you have your MSL.

You're absolutely right. :)
But I'm pretty sure you would need to get a Verizon/PagePlus PRL on it even after programming ##DATA#.

Also, I realized that Boost probably locks the SIM, so LTE is out too (even with the new PagePlus LTE SIMs) :(

Upvote 0
You're absolutely right. :)
But I'm pretty sure you would need to get a Verizon/PagePlus PRL on it even after programming ##DATA#.

Also, I realized that Boost probably locks the SIM, so LTE is out too (even with the new PagePlus LTE SIMs) :(
Profile and PRL can be updated normally once new settings are entered. As for the UICC (SIM), the unlock, I believe, is accessible in the software updates menu.

Attachments

• 1420388045792.jpg
    1420388045792.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 85
Upvote 0
From the root forum here, from just a few days ago (surprised no one linked it but oh well) -
not to mention it is illegal .
Thank you!!

Let's look at the whole deal -

Cloning a phone id is illegal and most of the cookbooks telling how to do this revolve around that.

There's a federal ruling now allowing unlocking (owned) phones from carriers but all of the language is directed at GSM technology (the majority), leaving room for some on-going fights from Sprint.

In theory, you can take a donor phone and legally transfer its identity to the target phone - and you have to restrict capabilities to that provided by the donor and then safeguard the donor from use for the life of the target (so you can prove that you did a transfer rather than a clone).

Your problems here go like this from this point -

First, Boost and VM are owned by Sprint - if they ever catch you, be prepared for grief forever trying to get service from any of them.

Secondly, there are a number of sites helping with this - in four years, I've only found one legal one and it's under an injunction to stop until all of this is sorted out. And I hope I don't have to spell out how much you don't want to do business with an illegal operation.

Third, if you can find a cookbook strictly following every nuance of a transfer, if you get a complaint, mods are obliged to stop things and make an assessment. We're not all in agreement on this because a) we're not lawyers and b) even the lawyers don't agree. Don't expect a fair assessment even if you're right - we're not lawyers and we will err on the side of caution.

Fourth, if you post about a cookbook that details cloning, even if you don't mean to, then you're posting about things that aide and abet the criminal phone theft industry and mods will go all hard core on this - leaving such things alone makes our forums either a potential accessory to crime or an accessory after the fact. Either way, we'll be having none of it.

So there are your guidelines and constraints - please proceed with extreme caution.

On a personal note - I think that the carriers are wrong to control your phone use like this.

However - the law comes first, I am not a lawyer, and even if I were, I am not your lawyer.

On a final note - if you do find the instructions you're going to discover that it takes a LOT of steps to accomplish this, it's far from playing with the build.prop, and your opportunities for bricking your phone are real and really easy to do.

Nothing in this path is attractive or safe but you do what you think best.

Reactions: bg4m3r
Upvote 0
OMG... you guys don't have a clue. If you own the phone, you can do whatever the heck you want with it.

The only law that is in effect as of 1/22/15, is that it is illegal to clone a phone onto an account that does not belong to you. That is a felony.

Why do you think there are hundreds, maybe even thousands of cell phone stores (store fronts, actual walk in business's) doing it. The largest one around here being, "Cell Bros" with two retail stores around the Orlando area. Been in business for many years and always with long waiting times.

And there are at least five retail stores around here that flashes phones as well. ANY phone to ANY carrier.
(GSM to GSM and CDMA to CDMA of course)

Well... there you have it,
Good night.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oluwaenny
Upvote 0
true flashing carriers is legal but finding cdma carriers is getting trickier.the networks exist yes but most are no longer supporting flashing.

example metropcs used to be cdma and theres some with cdma allowed on the networks but they no longer offer flashing cdma phones that havent already been flashed over.ever since the merge with tmobile they are now a gsm network even though cdma networks will always be a thing.dont beleive me,ask lol.i switched from metro to boost and they tried to get me to stay with them,till i mentioned i had a cdma phone now and they said,we dont flash those nomore

Upvote 0
true flashing carriers is legal but finding cdma carriers is getting trickier.the networks exist yes but most are no longer supporting flashing.

example metropcs used to be cdma and theres some with cdma allowed on the networks but they no longer offer flashing cdma phones that havent already been flashed over.ever since the merge with tmobile they are now a gsm network even though cdma networks will always be a thing.dont beleive me,ask lol.i switched from metro to boost and they tried to get me to stay with them,till i mentioned i had a cdma phone now and they said,we dont flash those nomore

Well... I can't speak to industry percentages, I'll just take your word on that issue. I'll just say that of the MAJOR carriers, the only ones I know that are GSM are AT&T and T-Mobile.

Reactions: frosthax1
Upvote 0
The question is how can i flash cdma to cdma? i have two LG volt VM and i want to make use of other carrier in Nigeria. Please how can i flash the phones to work with cdma carrier in Nigeria
You probably aren't going to get an answer here because, as stated, that is illegal. It involves cloning another phone from the desired carrier. Sprints policy is that their phones can be taken to another carrier after a year of service on the original carrier. This includes Boost and VM. You have to find a carrier that will accept the phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones