• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Flashing Questions (post-Flashing)

Jfa321

Lurker
Jan 25, 2011
I have some (hopefully) basic (but long) questions about flashing ROMs, and I'm hoping that they are simple enough for people to answer easily. I have been reading LOTS over the past few days, and I have google'd alot already, but these are some of my still-outstanding questions. (and I've read some of the 1200 pages on XDA on Serendipity....but 1200 is a lot to go through!!!)

Also, I Flashed to Serendipity 6.4 last night, with only a few issues, so I'm already flashed, just trying to figure some stuff out. This forum, and the xda forum have been tremendous resources, as have the Mobile Tech videos that someone recommended watching. I didn't really have a good reason for flashing - just basically wanted to show my boyfriend how much cooler my phone can be than his iPhone.

1) In the pull down menu, there's an icon that I don't recognize. I'm not sure if I don't recognize this is because I've only ever had Eclair, or if this is just for Serendipity. It looks like a symbol for Screen orientation, but I'm not able to select it. I think was originally selected, but my bf grabbed it out of my hands as soon as it rebooted after flashing, and I think he un-selected it. What is this icon for? Now that I think about it, I'm not sure what the middle icon is either - it looks like a speaker. Its selected, but I'm not sure what its doing.

2) Battery Icon - Is there any ROM or any other 'thing' (I don't have all of my terms down) that shows the Battery Icon as a #%, rather than just the bar> I currently have a battery widget, but would love to see the % on the Notification bar.

3) I picked Serendipity because I read lots of great reviews on this forum. There are lots of things that I like about it so far, but there are a few things that I'm not sure I like. Are things like the Gmail application colors change-able? Or is that based on the ROM? Sounds silly and un-important, but the black/gray that I have keeps making me think that my unread messages are read and vice versa.

4) Theme - What exactly is a theme? Does it change colors/icons/backgrounds/etc? That's what I'm used to from my blackberry days, but I didn't know if it was the same thing.

5) Silent functionality - The Eclair stock has the pull down icon for Silent, or you could use the volume rocker for this. Now, it looks like things have changed. Is there a regular "silent" mode? I see an option for Silent, but it looks like this is really just a Vibrate mode. I guess I can select Silent Mode, then pick Vibrate only when not in Silent mode - but this seems silly - but oh well!

With all of this said, I'm liking Serendipity so far. I think I may watch some demos of other ROMS to see if there is one that 'visibly' looks better to me, however, based on the answers to my questions above and the stability of serendipity, I may just stick with this. Suggestions welcome.

THANKS!!! (and sorry for the long, wordy post!)

I have some (hopefully) basic (but long) questions about flashing ROMs, and I'm hoping that they are simple enough for people to answer easily. I have been reading LOTS over the past few days, and I have google'd alot already, but these are some of my still-outstanding questions. (and I've read some of the 1200 pages on XDA on Serendipity....but 1200 is a lot to go through!!!)

Also, I Flashed to Serendipity 6.4 last night, with only a few issues, so I'm already flashed, just trying to figure some stuff out. This forum, and the xda forum have been tremendous resources, as have the Mobile Tech videos that someone recommended watching. I didn't really have a good reason for flashing - just basically wanted to show my boyfriend how much cooler my phone can be than his iPhone.

1) In the pull down menu, there's an icon that I don't recognize. I'm not sure if I don't recognize this is because I've only ever had Eclair, or if this is just for Serendipity. It looks like a symbol for Screen orientation, but I'm not able to select it. I think was originally selected, but my bf grabbed it out of my hands as soon as it rebooted after flashing, and I think he un-selected it. What is this icon for? Now that I think about it, I'm not sure what the middle icon is either - it looks like a speaker. Its selected, but I'm not sure what its doing.

2) Battery Icon - Is there any ROM or any other 'thing' (I don't have all of my terms down) that shows the Battery Icon as a #%, rather than just the bar> I currently have a battery widget, but would love to see the % on the Notification bar.

3) I picked Serendipity because I read lots of great reviews on this forum. There are lots of things that I like about it so far, but there are a few things that I'm not sure I like. Are things like the Gmail application colors change-able? Or is that based on the ROM? Sounds silly and un-important, but the black/gray that I have keeps making me think that my unread messages are read and vice versa.

4) Theme - What exactly is a theme? Does it change colors/icons/backgrounds/etc? That's what I'm used to from my blackberry days, but I didn't know if it was the same thing.

5) Silent functionality - The Eclair stock has the pull down icon for Silent, or you could use the volume rocker for this. Now, it looks like things have changed. Is there a regular "silent" mode? I see an option for Silent, but it looks like this is really just a Vibrate mode. I guess I can select Silent Mode, then pick Vibrate only when not in Silent mode - but this seems silly - but oh well!

With all of this said, I'm liking Serendipity so far. I think I may watch some demos of other ROMS to see if there is one that 'visibly' looks better to me, however, based on the answers to my questions above and the stability of serendipity, I may just stick with this. Suggestions welcome.

THANKS!!! (and sorry for the long, wordy post!)

1) yes these have screen rotation and gps toggle in the notifications in the bar, im not sure why it wont let you select it though

2) you can get new battery mods here

3) you can reinstall the gmail app from the market and it will change the colors back. you may have to uninstall the stock one with titanium backup first im not really sure. but that should work
EDIT: you can actually add the unthemed gmail from the website also

4) themes usually change colors, sometimes they change the lockscreens and just about anything you can think of. there are 2 themes on the link with the battery mods and you can see what they look like

5) im sure there is a way but i never put mine in actual silent mode so i havent tried to figure it out

Reactions: Jfa321
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones