• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Flashing questions

GrenW

Android Expert
Apr 16, 2010
Have a Desire running stock Vodafone 2.2 at the moment. Made a gold card a few months back (a day before before Voda got their act together with their unbloated 2.2) and now finally got round to rooting it last week (unrevoked) and have been looking around for a rom to flash since then. Have a couple of questions around apps built into roms :

1) Stripping built in apps, does it make more space for your own apps? Seem to remember reading somewhere that it doesn't - different partitions or something. I'm sort of toying with a Sense rom but wondering if the space saved with a vanilla rom has any real point. Space is my priority for rooting - a2sd+ is the only reason I'm doing it to be honest (okay apart from an insatiable desire to tinker). Is this just a performance thing?

2) Apps added into the rom - lots have Ti Backup etc. I assume there's little point unless the app doesn't get updated much or you don't mind flashing a new version often? An update from the market will just go into user space.

Thanks

1 . Assumption is correct. Non sense roms are a lot smaller but unless you repartition internal memory, you won't get more data space. This is an advanced modification.though and requires extra work every time you flash a new Rom, unless you use a predefine.s-off table from alpharev.

2. I haven't noticed any difference on titanium versions but again, quite right.

Good to have titanium though as its there If you have to wipe data, you don't have to set up data connection and sign into market to get it

Reactions: GrenW
Upvote 0
Thanks - as you can probably tell I'm not ready to be partitioning internal memory. Think I'll stick with Sense as I'm used to it all even if I don't use much of it - LP user here.

Good point on titanium - backup software on rom is handy, never thought of it that way. No expert on the software as I only bought it last week but can see it coming in useful.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones