1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

flashing radio...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tailsthecat, Jun 21, 2010.

1. tailsthecat

tailsthecat Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    I'm on 2.1 official, rooted. Can I flash different radio versions?

Advertisement

2. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice

Nov 28, 2009
    Yes. Just, as always, be extremely careful and triple check to make sure they are NOT gsm radios.

3. tailsthecat

Apr 22, 2010
    Do they flash as zips through recovery?

4. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice

Nov 28, 2009
    Yeap (at least that's how I did the one I tried).

5. tailsthecat

Apr 22, 2010
    Did it make any difference, be it positive or negative?

6. Fenga Papit

May 3, 2010
    Different radios can make a difference, or none at all. There are a few factors involved like your location, cell towers in your vicinity, other geographic factors, etc. You may see better battery life even if you do not see a change in reception. But again it is hard to tell without trying the different radios because we all have our own preferences as to which apps we have that my be running at times in the background, updates, your personal usage with calls, texts, email, etc.

Best to just try the different radios. As Kelmar said, be sure you install it correctly and the file is NOT for the GSM Hero (That one is not a Sprint CDMA model).

Here you can get the radios for the Sprint CDMA Hero that are listed on Geek For Me: Radios Geek For Me

7. cephraim

cephraim Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    I've never tried them. But, it seems as though you may find that your battery drains faster with some of these.

8. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice

Nov 28, 2009
    The one I tried (said to be the one included in the 2.1 update) left me with HORRIBLE signal 90% of the time.

Some people it runs better for, some nothing changes and the sorry folks like me it just plain stinks for.

9. tailsthecat

Apr 22, 2010
    Ive tried a couple radio versions. Im using the verizon one: 2.32.40.11.09. it seems to work well. something that has always happened though, with any radio, is when i begin transmitting data my 'bars' drop to one or zero 'bars' while at home...INSIDE my signal is three to four bars. drops to one or zero while transmitting data.

*too sleepy to post

Tags: