1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Flashing radios

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mark_wuk, Sep 1, 2011.

1. mark_wuk

mark_wuk Lurker

Hi,

I've rooted my Desire, and have installed a new ROM (Pre-rooted Stock Gingerbread (3.14.405.1)) over on XDA Developers.

With that ROM is a new radio 5.17.05.23
    . Now, I'm pretty new to this, but I have read enough to be of the opinion that flashing a radio is a bit of a risky option.

Is it advisable to make this update? My current version is 5.11.05.27.

What benefits would I be likely to see? Just how much of a risk is there, if I download the radio, and check the MD5 before flashing it? Also I believe that I just treat the radio upgrade as any other? i.e. copy it onto the SD card and flash it manually through recovery.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

When you say "with that ROM" do you mean it is all in the one zip, or a separate zip from the same thread? If separate, I'd say don't bother unless you have a problem.

To flash a radio you do the same as any other zip install. However, the actual radio install occurs when you reboot, and the phone will reboot a couple of times during this. So the important thing is not to panic, and certainly not to assume you are in a boot loop and pull the battery (which could be disastrous) - just flash, reboot and wait for it to finish.

3. mark_wuk

mark_wuk Lurker

Thanks for the reply - I meant that it has a radio listed under the ROM, not included in it.

I think, given that I'm not having any issues I'll leave things as they are - for now at least.

HTC Desire Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews