1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Flashing rom?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by TheKalle, Aug 12, 2012.

1. TheKalle

TheKalle Well-Known Member

I cant flash a custom rom. When reading installation instructions, it says I need Clockwork Mod but I have no idea where to download for my phone. I have Samsung Galaxy Y. I havent even made a backup of my stock rom yet. Please help.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Android Expert

Before you go any farther...

Ask yourself what you need to do that actually requires root or if you just want to play with the phone. For most users it's probably the latter.

Android and hardware have come a long way. Storage space is usually adequate and a lot of customization is possible without root. For regular users there's just not as many things that require root as before. I haven't bothered to root my daily driver in a long time and nowadays usually recommend against it.

No offense to hard-working developers, but custom ROMs do vary some in terms of quality, stability, functionality and features. Rooting will void your warranty.

If you decide you really do need/want to root, look in the 'All Things Root' section of your phone's subforum. Plenty of info is available. Also, Google search is your friend. Do a LOT of reading. It's possible a mistake could 'brick' your phone (make it unusable). Make sure you understand why you're doing it, the exact steps required and all the terminology, and have a recovery plan and backups in case things go bad. Nobody likes to bail out a n00b just because he simply failed to do his homework first.

3. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

The best place to get advice on flashing ROMs is the phone's All Things Root forum, so I've taken the liberty of moving this thread there.

Samsung Galaxy Y Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Y release date was October 2011. Features and Specs include a 3.0" inch screen, 2MP camera, GB RAM, processor, and 1200mAh battery.

October 2011
Release Date
Reviews