1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Flashing roms is addicting!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by oFUNGUSo, Feb 16, 2011.

1. oFUNGUSo

oFUNGUSo Member
    None

Feb 7, 2011
    Texas
    the first one i flashed was serendipity 5.5. then i upgrade 5.6, 5.7, 5.8.

the today i decided to try cognition.

then i started trying others. i have flashed no less than 10 times today trying to make up my mind what i might want to stick with. since i discovered that i dont HAVE to revert back to stock for each new rom, i was more willing. im not sure if there is benefit to flashing to stock first, then installing, or if it even matter. but i have had no problems.

so today i went from serendipity 5.8
    to cognition
    to firefly
    to pheonix
    back to srendipity
    back to cog
    to supernova
    back to firefly
    back to serendipity
    back to cog
    and now im on perception.
    i think next i will try assonance

and im no closer to deciding!!! ARRGGH!!!!

perception seems cool so far. my biggest concern is how the phone functions with the rom. SPEED. and tbh i havent really been able to tell any difference in moving around menus, browsing web, watching videos, in any of these. maybe it would take more extensive use.

the amount of themes/quality of themes is something im also a little concerned with. im still a little biased towards serendipity but im not seeing as many themes. maybe im not using the right key words in search

somebody help me make up my MIND!

yah i know, its almost pointless. everyone has a difference favorite. im having a hard time even weighing the pros/cons of these so far

Advertisement

2. sethjamto

sethjamto Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 7, 2011
    I've gone from Cog to Serendipity, and want to try others, BUT....I love Serendipity right now! Maybe I'll do what you did and bounce around in one day to scope them out. I can always comes back.

So you had no problems flashing back to back with using Odin in between ROMs? If that is the case, then I will be more apt to flash more as it won't take nearly as long!

3. oFUNGUSo

oFUNGUSo Member
    None

Feb 7, 2011
    Texas

i didnt even use odin besides the FIRST time i changed roms.....then i just dropped the rom zip file into the root directory, bootedinto recovery and installed it, no problems at all so far. i had all of those ROM zips just sitting in my root directory and i was changing back and forth without ever connecting to the computer. the one time an install froze on me i held both volume up/down and power and ended up back in recovery mode where i could select a different file. this all ended up being a lot easier than i thought it would be based off everything i read

4. Dante04SRT

Dante04SRT Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    You'll definitely want to use ODIN to reflash to stock before installing additional roms. It all has to do with the framework of each ROM.

If you don't reflash, you're not necassarily starting with the right foundations for the new ROM. Kinda like having a house foundation in the shape of a square, then building a circle on top of it. It may work, but it's not really correct.

Just my $.02. I'm very new to all of this as well; I've been spending every waking second researching this stuff and after having a hard brick with my phone the other day, I'd be super careful.

-Dan+e

5. oFUNGUSo

oFUNGUSo Member
    None

Feb 7, 2011
    Texas
    hmmm. i guess i see what your saying. there was a point flasshing between one rom and another where i got an unusuall prompt asking to to change the type of filesystem. i clicked yes and it worked find. i wonder if this is related to what you are saying?

6. artvandalay22222

artvandalay22222 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 5, 2010
    DETROIT MI!
    Have you tried continuum? That's the one I like far. It has the option to choose different lock screens, ability to record calls, seems stable. Been running it flout a few weeks with no problems.

7. artvandalay22222

artvandalay22222 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 5, 2010
    DETROIT MI!
    Oh and the voodoo sound amp is cool too..

8. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Android Expert
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    student
    north alabama
    im on supernova now. i like it alot, reminds me of phoenix but themed. i like a slightly themed rom instead of having to flash a theme over one. very nice rom

9. fldude99

fldude99 Android Expert
    None

Oct 10, 2010
    NW FL
    omg..I have enough obsessions taking up my time right about now-I definitely don't need another!

10. oFUNGUSo

oFUNGUSo Member
    None

Feb 7, 2011
    Texas
    lols. i settled on serendipity finally.....that is until i see something newer and fancier come out.

i tried mutiple ROMs.....tested them out to see howt he phone functioned on each, and ran a few benchmark and stress tests on each, and serendipity ran the best and gave me the best scores.

i know benchmark dosnt mean much to most people but with serendipity, and the suckerpunch overclock to 1.4ghz, undervolted. consistantly getting over 1900 in benchmark. ran stability test for about an hour with no errors.......CPU got up to 50 degrees celcuis (not sure what temp becomes unsafe) but it seemed to cap there.

very happy with the set up for the time being. i need to stop tweeking on this stupid phoen! at least for a couple days. lol

11. wes78

wes78 Member
    None

Sep 11, 2010
    Technology Sales
    yeah it's sick.. just flashed firebird 2 kernel and along with the new poweramp app it's like 100% better with UI and sound quality... and voodoo makes it louder...but you don't wanna go deaf so be careful haha