• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

FlashLight that uses Camera Flash

Apparently there was a silent update to the camera app... or camera hardware drivers... over the last couple of days. Perhaps the torch flash mode has been enabled as a consequence? Bears looking into.
Actually, there was not an update. The camera started working due to a time related software bug - the same bug will cause it to stop working again in 24 days (unless a fix is pushed OTA).

Upvote 0
So the big issue so far is getting a nice constant light instead of it cutting off every couple of seconds and then coming back. I think I can improve it with some careful timing instead of the hack I am using right now. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be direct access to just turn on the LEDs.

Upvote 0
So the big issue so far is getting a nice constant light instead of it cutting off every couple of seconds and then coming back. I think I can improve it with some careful timing instead of the hack I am using right now. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be direct access to just turn on the LEDs.

are you focusing? or taking pictures? Also, are you doing an app or a widget? I was doing a widget. I was wondering if that's why mine wasn't working. I was planning on moving the code to an Activity to test it.

Upvote 0
Yeah, i thought there might be some success looping through a routine that continually fires commands to auto focus with the flash mode set to Auto. When the sensor detects darkness, it fires the flash so the auto focus can function properly (and so the shooter can see whats being focused on). Obviously, this will be inferior to an application that can use the built in functionality to just keep the flash on natively.

Ideally, we'd like to have access to the LED's without having to fire up the camera and burn through the battery.

Upvote 0
Yeah, i thought there might be some success looping through a routine that continually fires commands to auto focus with the flash mode set to Auto. When the sensor detects darkness, it fires the flash so the auto focus can function properly (and so the shooter can see whats being focused on). Obviously, this will be inferior to an application that can use the built in functionality to just keep the flash on natively.

Ideally, we'd like to have access to the LED's without having to fire up the camera and burn through the battery.

Even if the Motorola updates the phone to include the missing flash mode that we need, we will still need to "use" the camera, since the only access to the LED flash is through the camera. I guess Google could update Android to handle the camera LEDs differently, but I don't see them doing that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones