• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SamuraiBigEd

Under paid Sasquatch!
Nov 8, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Is anybody else using Flex T9 from Nuance? I have posted about it in a couple of other threads but it doesn't seem to get any response.

Frankly, this is hands down better than Swype, with which I ended up typing out more than swyping. I use the gesture typing almost exclusively with Flex T9. The recognition seems to be much better out of the box.

The other feature that is totally awesome is voice recognition using Dragon Naturally Speaking software, which is the best on the market. Google's voice transcription has always left a lot to be desired, so much so I quit using it entirely, but this works so well that I find my self using it many times a day.

Yes, this program costs, but it has been an investment that is well worth the money. Anybody who uses either of the other programs should really check it out.

Reactions: andrewjdunbar
I was using Shapewriter before, but it wasn't readily available after Nuance purchased the company. So, I was switching between Swype and Shapewriter.

After I saw that Nuance finally released the keyboard app, I tried it out.

So far, I have been impressed with it. Sure, there are some things Swype does better (mainly being able to go through a period or comma directly to the space being the one thing), but all in all I prefer Flex T9.

Pros
- Faster than swype
- More auto correct selections, verus 8 on swype
- Multiple input methods in one package
- File size is smaller than Swype (huge pro since I have a Moto Droid 1)
- Visually cleaner than Swype

Cons
- Inability to add words to a custom dictionary (none that I have found anyhow)
- Puncuation is not as fluid as with Swype.
- Swype may be slightly better with word prediction
- If tapping to enter a word, Flex T9 sometimes auto corrects without confirmation from the user.

Upvote 0
Cons
- Inability to add words to a custom dictionary (none that I have found anyhow)
- Puncuation is not as fluid as with Swype.
- Swype may be slightly better with word prediction
- If tapping to enter a word, Flex T9 sometimes auto corrects without confirmation from the user.

I believe it automatically adds words if you select them from the list because it now recognizes words it didn't before for me.

I don't seem to have any problems with punctuation, on either.

I have to disagree about word prediction, I have had a lot of very complex words show up with Flex that never did in Swype.

I agree about the auto correct without input, that is my only complaint so far.

Upvote 0
I have just installed Flex T9 because I wanted an application I could actually dictate paragraphs to, for future use in reports, using QuickOffice. But the program seems to quit receiving dictation after less than a minute. To restart it, to continue editing, it seems I have to quit QuickOffice, and then reopen the document. If it was intended only for short dictation, it would have been useful to know!

Upvote 0
Is there a way to delete some words? I love it, but I find that some simple words it totally misses and doesnt even offer it as a suggestion.

If you type the word/s you wish to delete in say your text messaging app, highlight it and hold you will be able to delete it from your dictionary. have switched from the flex 9 so it's been awhile since I've used it, but I believe this will work. I'm now using swift keyboard because I like the voice recognition better.

Upvote 0
I have been using swype since I got android, but there've always been some things that annoyed me about it, so in looking at alternatives I found flext9 and love it now. I find it does double letter words much better than swype, and it auto spaces words very well. Plus, I find the keyboard better spaced when typing single letters. Definitely worth the price, highly recommened.

Upvote 0
Just giving it a try now, having been using Swype for a week or two. Although I'm very impressed with Swype, I can't get the hang of some of the more advanced moves (involving punctuation, etc) so end up typing those individually. Therefore, that's not such an issue.

I'm finding that the basic tracing action on Flex T9 is actually better than Swype... not sure if that's because it just happens to be better calibrated to my movements or because the keyboard shape is a little clearer. The handwriting recognition thing is good, too (as good as the Sony Ericsson P900 I had years ago) but it's a bit disconcerting how it waits until you've finished the word before displaying it!

Upvote 0
I was trying to find out how to delete wrong words in my flex t 9 list. Can't get words to delete for me someone posted how above. I've been using this since I got it free at Amazon and it's the best. I use the dragon dictation a lot over Google.

Not sure on this one, I will have to do some digging or hopefully somebody else has the answer.

Upvote 0
I too would love to know how to delete entries erroneously entered into the dictionary. I must have fat fingered, so to speak, several words at some point, such as "Thr" instead of "The". Now, invariably when I try to enter "the", it puts in the mis-spelling instead of the word I intended. It is VERY aggravating to have it choosing a word I don't want in there instead of the correct one, especially for ones really common ones. If someone knows how to get rid of entries please let us all know.

Other gripes I have about the program: the stupid reminder message that comes up to tell you that there is no need to type a space between words if you are inputting things that way. At least on my phone, it puts this message up very regularly, and always right over the area that the text is being entered.

And before you say, "well, don't press space between them", my other gripe is that the program has a tendency to change the selected word unless you enter a space. An example is you "swiped" a word, and it is highlighting the intended word. I want to follow that word with the word "a". When I press the letter "a", the previous word I entered correctly is many times changed to a completely different word. Clicking another "a" will cause it to change once again to some other word. I am sure there is some reason why it is doing that, but I have not been able to figure out what it is doing. So, to get the word "a" after that word I have to press the space, then the "a". A couple times of doing that and the stupid message is displayed that I don't need to do that, but as I explained, if I don't then I don't get the correct previous word.

I wish there was documentation on how to use the program. Like I said, there is no doubt some reason it is changing words when it does, and presumably that is a nice time saving feature, but it sure is not if you can't figure out what the algorithm is that is being used.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Upvote 0
Re the previous 3 posts: I have just started using T9 for the first time on my Galaxy II (T9 v 2.0.1.0). I am experiencing none of those problems. I specifically tried to replicate those problems and could not. Everything works really well. There is Help available in the App. Voice recognition is way better than Google or VLingo. Loving it!

Upvote 0
I downloaded this a few weeks ago and absolutely love it! I just went to get a copy onto my partners new phone and it wont download because I live in Australia! So, I rang the Sales Department at Nuance in Australia and was told that it isn't available anywhere now - IT HAS BEEN DISCONTINUED!!!!!

The guy was very apologetic and handled it as best he could and clearly it isn't his fault. But .....

WTF???? No online explanation, it is still on their website. What are they doing? Based on my love of this phone I was seriously thinking about getting their Dragon Naturally Speaking to support this great technology and company. I wont bother now. Shame for them. It seems that customers are not important to them. Instead of recommending it (which I was doing) I am now using them as an example of bad customer service to my clients.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones