1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Flickery backlight?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rezeew, Jan 6, 2014.

1. rezeew

rezeew Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Tech Support
    Boston, MA
    I might be going nuts, but is anyone else getting an intermittent flicker from the backlight? Full screen dims randomly and will sometimes brighten right back up, sometimes not for a while.

I returned my first N5 thinking it was a hardware thing, but my replacement did it several times this morning.

Before you ask; yes, auto brightness is off.

I tried setting my screen timeout to a much longer interval and that didn't help either. Most of the time I see this in either the browser or games. I tried looking for some sort of power saving screen dimmer (like my Asus tablet does when a page is loading in the browser) but couldn't find anything.

The dimming is a little akin to the reduced brightness you'd see if you turned the screen away from you by 30 degrees or so. For a while I convinced myself I was accidentally turning the phone away from me, but that's not it either?

Is this a feature rather than a bug? Did I get two bad units? (seems unlikely) I had a Gnex for 2 years and never ran into this.

Advertisement

2. nx1977

nx1977 Android Expert
    None

Feb 8, 2010
    UK
    Maybe a software bug in that auto brightness is still active even with the toggle off?

Tags: