• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Floating "M" when connected via hdmi, help!!

ncdude

Oct 12, 2010
Hi all,

I have a droid Bionic with an eclipse 2.2 rom. If I connect it to my tv all I get is a floating "M" and no menu for mirror. I would think eclipse may have removed a motorola file that is needed to get mirroring to work. Is there a way to get this back? Hope Hope.

Thanks for the help,

Scott

Don't know if this will help you. I am NOT rooted but I have used the following to Mirror:

I have been able to play NFL Mobile, HBO GO, etc on my Flat Screen TV via HDMI cable using the Free App "Xternal Display".

1. Attach HDMI cable. You will be prompted on your phone to choose type of mirror mode on your Bionic...CHOOSE "GALLERY".

2. Click the (physical) HOME key > Programs

3. Activate "Xternal", check upper taskbar to see if active and running properly.

NOTE: If "Xternal" says ERROR, Unplug the HDMI and re-plug it back in. Check "Xternal" again, should now say "HDMI active, select to disable". Then push the pull down bar back up. Then Choose "GALLERY" again. Then (physical) HOME key > Programs again. Then go to step 4.

4. Open NFL Mobile (or whatever) now and start stream.

I tested it SEVERAL times (4g and WiFi) and it worked over and over. Enjoy!

Upvote 0
I'm running the eclipse 2.2 rom and have no issues with webtop. Infact, I use it exclusively and no longer use a computer. However, I have the media dock.

I don't know what your set up is, but, make sure there is no dust in the hdmi connectors.

Having a media dock mean my connectors were exposed to dust when not in use. I used a can of air (Computer cleaning) to blow out the terminals of the dock and the phone.

There's four ways to get your weptop to work (Again, I don't know what you're using).

There's the simple adapter which is $30.00

I think the standard dock which is around $50.00

Or the media dock which is around $90.00

Or there is a hack floating around if you have none of the above to just use a single hdmi cord if you do not wish to purchase any accessories above.

The accessories activate the webtop mode, if you're just using an hdmi cable with out the flashable hack, you will not get webtop working.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones