• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Fluxbox has come a long way!

ardchoille

Android Expert
Mar 8, 2011
Seattle
I use Ubuntu as my sole desktop operating system and I'm not completely comfortable with the Unity desktop. Unity was fine on a netbook but it has no place on a desktop machine in my opinion.

I had used the Fluxbox window manager years ago and, while it was a great window manager, I liked GNOME enough to keep going back to the full desktop environment.

I recently revisited the Fluxbox window manager and am highly impressed. GNOME 3 will usher in the gnome shell, similar to Unity in look and feel, so it seems our beloved GNOME is getting a facelift and I have to find a new environment in which to work. I've even created my own Fluxbox style.

Click here a larger view (offsite link).

scr-desktop-20110526.png

A huge thank you to the Fluxbox development team for the improvements, this is one nice window manager :)

I'd like to hear what other Linux fans use as an alternate work environment.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones