• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Flycast Released and Reviewed

dkaufman1

Android Expert
Oct 24, 2008
The Lab
rdrrlabs.com
Flycast is now out. I tried it out and it worked nicely today. It had many more radio stations, but very few for my large metro area, which was surprising.

I listened to ESPN out of Rochester NY. A few times the audio stopped and I had to go back in and restart it.

Their app has weather built in, which is nice, but un-needed.

Their comment system is supposed to be like the Android Market, but their star tool didn't work very well. I wanted to try give something 5 stars and I had to click each star, but the far left star (1 star) didn't want to light up no matter what I tried.

The interface is what we are growing used to seeing in many other media player apps. I felt it was a bit laggy. I would like to see it snappier in response to my touch. I can live with it, especially as they begin to learn the Android SDK/OS compared to Blackberry and iPhone.

They have a lot of ads supporting this. They hopefully pay for the service and it will remain free.

Worth a download at this pricepoint, would like to see some quick evolution, to make it a regular. Especially the ability in a live broadcast to figure out it dropped the audio and go get it again.

One interesting thing the station I tried had a time shifting option, it said I could go back and listen to any segment of the broadcast of the past hour in 15 min chunks. Of course this cool feature didn't work.

I know this app is beta but I was disappointed with this one. First, it never remember my account so I have to create one every time I use it. It has a nice look to it but is kinda clunky. And it doesn't really do anything that stream furious doesn't do, plus stream furious has about a million streams (ehh-hem stern). Mabey once it's out of beta it'll be a keeper.

Upvote 0
Sorry to bring this one back from the dead. I used flycast on the iphone and the BB storm2 and it works flawlessly. Now on the Droid it does not work at all. This is the 2.0.0 beta from the market and it will not even search for stations. It just freezes. Also, I had favorited saved that it found from my BB storm 2, and those are not clickable when showed. To have an app on the market that DOES NOT FUNCTION at all it crazy. I read some of the reviews on the market and they all pretty much say it doesnt work. Man I loved this app on the other phones too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones