• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Flytouch 3 randomly powers down

leninade

Lurker
Aug 17, 2011
here are the specs first:

Disco10
2.2-20110529
zjd@dtlinuxserver #29
FRF85B

I received my FT3 about 4 days ago and in general it has met or exceeded my expecations. I'm not certain if this problem occured on the stock OS because I flashed to Tims5a very soon after verifying that everything seemed to operate properly.

The problem: the FT3 randomly powers off. It seems to happen most often when I put it to sleep and leave it there for longer than a couple minutes (in fact, I would say that it happens nearly every time I put it to sleep...screen goes dim as expected, then black. I can re-awake from this by tapping the power button and it comes right back on so long as it's been less that a few minutes. However, if it's been longer than a few minutes I have to hold the power button down in order to go through the complete booting sequence).

Possible troublingshooting thoughts: While I'm not sure because I did not use the stock OS for very long, I do not think this happened with the stock OS.

Additionally, while I did not use Tims5a for very long before applying the 2mp camera patch, I do not think this happened before the 2mp camera patch. i will test this soon, but I wanted to post this in case others have had problems or know the answer.

TL;DR - FT3 shuts off randomly when put to sleep.

Hello!
I also have this problem and have had it since the beginning of using the tablet. The only thing I did is root it but as far as I can remember it was happening before that as well.

I didn't find any other posts about this except yours. Pretty strange...

Did you find the solution to the problem?

Thanks in advance

Upvote 0
Hello!
I also have this problem and have had it since the beginning of using the tablet. The only thing I did is root it but as far as I can remember it was happening before that as well.

I didn't find any other posts about this except yours. Pretty strange...

Did you find the solution to the problem?

Thanks in advance

Hi! I haven't seen anybody post a solution to this problem elsewhere so I started this thread hoping that if multiple people had this problem then somebody who is more tech-friendly with the software or hardware might know or create a solution.

How long have you had your tablet? Also do you have Tims5a on it? The problem seems to happen a lot less now. I think there might be two possible reasons for that:

1. the battery simple needed some time to calibrate.
2. I installed advanced app killer and kill apps frequently.

Of course there are many other possibilities, but that's my best guess. Good luck! Keep us updated if you find anything new!

Upvote 0
Yes, all Disco system boards will be replaced by another board at the end of this month, but this new board is still not stable enough. So it's better to buy a FT3 with 9V SAWEE10 system board.

Its possible that there will be another FT3 version released at the end of the month (to compliment the 10 or so models already out there) but it's only a month or two ago that the P041 board was released, that was supposed to be the Disco replacement. The P041 has links to SAWEE firmware as there were several links to it left in the build.prop file. since its release there has been some significant improvements in the firmwares performance and it now has features that even the Disco versions don't have, but it still does not enjoy anything like the support that Disco has. Historically the SAWEE and SAWEE10 versions have been very poor in the firmware department, and a very limited support base and I have not seen any evidence that this situation has changed. All the remaining versions have zero or next to zero support.. buy one of these and you will be by yourself where updates are concerned.
I have to agree with LFC here...the Disco/Disco10 is still the firmware of choice, or if you fancy being on the cutting edge, perhaps a P041.....or better still, spend your money on a different tablet that has a single support base and a single manufacturer.

just my $0.02 worth.

Upvote 0
I think someone is trying to stir up a Tornado here. But IMHO the P041 is a much stronger firmware. It is finally getting some custom rom attention and rumor is that right now it is the direction the manufacturers are going. Even CG is vague if you ask. They say there will always be a FT3 Disco10, but will not say there will be a new pad of any kind with the disco10 firmware.

As far as this being chip related it is more than highly unlikely. The sleep issue goes all the way back to the V1.0 motherboards, and not all tables, even from the same source are affected by it. I doubt you will have a manufacturer who uses random chips in every build. But could you have a reseller with a new line from a cheaper source coming up who wants to start a rumor to support it? Yeah I think it is possible.

Upvote 0
I think someone is trying to stir up a Tornado:D here. But IMHO the P041 is a much stronger firmware. It is finally getting some custom rom attention and rumor is that right now it is the direction the manufacturers are going. Even CG is vague if you ask. They say there will always be a FT3 Disco10, but will not say there will be a new pad of any kind with the disco10 firmware.
I agree that the P041 has the potential to be better than the Disco, it is after all, the successor to the Disco, the downside though will be the confusion and obfuscation created by the myriad of different builds and models. The current situation will only get worse!
As far as this being chip related it is more than highly unlikely. The sleep issue goes all the way back to the V1.0 motherboards, and not all tables, even from the same source are affected by it. I doubt you will have a manufacturer who uses random chips in every build.
The wifi not working after reflashing definitely is an issue brought about by a manufacturer using a different wifi module chipset, I would imagine the manufacturer found a cheaper wifi module (they are all ex-USB modules so they all connect to the system board with just 4 wires). No constructional changes..just a different driver needed compiling into the kernel. I never looked into the sleep thing...I never came across it!
But could you have a reseller with a new line from a cheaper source coming up who wants to start a rumor to support it? Yeah I think it is possible.
So thats three of us that think the same then!:D:D

Upvote 0
The wifi not working after reflashing definitely is an issue brought about by a manufacturer using a different wifi module chipset, I would imagine the manufacturer found a cheaper wifi module (they are all ex-USB modules so they all connect to the system board with just 4 wires). No constructional changes..just a different driver needed compiling into the kernel. I never looked into the sleep thing...I never came across it!

Yeah I agree about the wifi, but I was speaking specifically to the sleep issue being cause by a new "IC" chip. If I remember people originally thought Tim's ROM was to blame, but more people started reporting it off stock firmware. It has been present since the FT3 came out and even the FT2 reported it. I think it is something in the kernels themselves as some version don't report it and others do. Maybe even due to an installed app that runs in the background, that being because a thread where the guy said it only happened when his SD was inserted, then we moved his apps back to the internal and it started doing it all the time. Of course after we figured that out the guy didn't want to go through the trouble of reinstalling every app until we figured out which one did it and you can't blame him, like you said the myriad of builds, I think it is a learn to live with bug.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones