• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help FM Radio problem

Sorry! I hadn't spotted this thread and started another. I too have had an fm radio crash exactly as described above, this morning and have 'killed' it with no effect. However, immediately afterwards my battery useage went through the roof. It completely emptied itself within about 3 hours. I'm sure it must be because either the radio is still running in the background without showing up in running tasks or because the system is trying to sort itself out (or both).

Upvote 0
ad HTC Desire FM Radio issue:

my experience (HTC Desire, orig. SD card 4gb, bought In Slovenia, Europe, carrier Mobitel)- I am working at the national radio station so I use it a lot:

- on fresh start FM radio works OK, sounds correct, can use non HTC headphones (though you lose simple commands on HTC headphones), the longer the cord the better

but:
-you can't terminate (exit) FM Radio app except with a task killer (native to android, as I came to know on teese pages); you can though turn it off with a double tap on the very small icon (exact hit somehow difficult) in right upper corner of the app screen, but the screen stays on; if you move away with the back button, you must tap FM Radio icon again to turn it on again – when it turns on and rescans it frequently freezes or it doesn't want to start again at all (stops after green slider comes to right end of scanning) – reboot clears the problem
- RDS sucks, it didn't recognize stations in my area (about a third of some 20 of them);
- on scan it fixes a lot of empty/static channels;
- it locks/freezes frequently when changing to other programs or taking a call and back to FM which stays on in background – it scans anew and then freezes, the only way to start it again is reboot.
- on my HTC Desire when in FM Radio pressing menu shows a toggle button Japan/Europe at bottom right, where Japan is 88.00-108.00 mHz, Europe is 76.00-90.00mHz – definitely something wrong there, you must use Japan to get the European mHz frequencies
- toggle between Japan/Europe erases presets in the other mode, RDS in Europe mode doesn't recognize any stations (although there are at least 3 in my area)

all of above is almost certainly app fault, I noted local HTC representative, they said they forwarded my remarks to HTV Taiwan.

Upvote 0
I have similar problems with it just not responding, you can change channels and it still carries on playing the one it was tuned to. Quitting the app and running task killer had no effect, it carried on playing, the only solution was to turn off the phone.

On a couple of occasions it did the start up tuning bit then just quit back to the home screen. my earphones are connected correctly and I have no case on.

The volume control also stops working.

I just had it working no problem for half an hour, left it on the desk and 20 minutes later it is stuck on one channel, one volume and only switching off the phone will shut it up, so that negates the handling it theory.

Upvote 0
I also have the same problem. I had to switch off the phone and turned it back on to close the FM radio as it would not close from the app or the task killer. BTW, I noticed that when the radio had this problem, the phone was using all the processing power to the max, which explain why the battery was draining fast if someone did not close the radio. It seems to be a software issue, which hopefully HTC will resolve with an update.

Upvote 0
I contacted HTC and they said that they had no record of this problem...

Hmm. :mad:

I said:
Hello,

What's the best way to report bugs?

The FM radio application is quite unstable. If I change frequency a lot, eventually after a few minutes of changing channel it appears to get stuck on one channel, and ignores further changes made through the interface. Once this has happened, if the FM radio app is restarted, it shows the "Starting FM radio" progress bar, but then quits.
HTC replied:
Dear Mr Noble, Thank you for contacting us. HTC greatly appreciate all feedback from our customers regarding potential issues and bugs with our products, and we will pass this information on to our software development department, who will investigate the possibility of addressing these in a future software update. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused, and if you have any further information or suggestions, please do not hesitate to contact us again. Kind Regards, Tony F HTC

Upvote 0
Hold on folks. The radio only appears not have any means to shut it off. There is a well hidden power button in the top right hand corner!

We came home last night, using the sat nav on the phone, listening to the phone's radio. Worked perfectly all the way home, though reception isn't as good as the car's radio. But then again, the car's radio doesn't go quiet to let you hear the sat nav! :)

I wonder if the problem is related to having the phone upright or flat (i.e. lying on a desk)? There is a feature isn't there, that turns off the phone if you turn the phone face down on a call. Maybe that is confusing the radio?

Dunno. Only used it in the car in an upright position and it works fine for me.

Upvote 0
I'm in Denmark. After 3 tries where I got the "switching on FM radio" progress bar sliding past as normal, but with one fraction of the bar left to go, it stopped, waited some 20 secs and then just closed down with no error message or anything. Fourth attempt with a non HTC headset I got a Danish radio station all clear through.

I have closed and started 3 times now without problems also with the HTC headset that came with the phone.

I haven't tried more than a couple of minutes though.

Upvote 0
My phone received a firmware update some weeks ago, so I retried the radio. I didn't test it a lot, but it does seem to be more stable now. It's still useless at scanning to find stations - possibly even worse that it was before. I didn't see it detect a station name at all, whereas it seemed to do that by itself a couple of times before.

Overall, it's not a great experience, so I don't bother with the radio but play MP3s instead.

Upvote 0
Please add your phone software. Mine is HTC Desire firmware 2.1-update1, 1.21.405.2, radio probably 32.36.00.28U but I don't know how to check.
I have the same problem: after a few minutes, radio app is not responsive any longer. It's not because of task killer, because radio is on the ignore list. The only solution is to reboot the phone.

Upvote 0
Same problem here, European phone (dont know if it matters). I tried with rebooting the phone and not using app killer at all, but still, it crashes after a few minutes. I will also send an email to HTC about this problem.

Update:

I've sent the email and got this answer:

"This could be a driver conflict and we recommend to try a hard reset on it make sure that you back up all your data before the reset. If the problem still going on after this then contact us in this line +44 8458900079 and we will send your device for a repair."

I don't really use the radio, so I don't bother to make a hard reset, but if someone tries it out and it works, please post here.

Btw, my phone software is: HTC Desire firmware 2.1-update1, 1.21.405.2.
Radio version 1.00.0047.174215

Upvote 0
I had the very same problem, you go into the app, it starts, runs fine for a while, then, it either crashes or locks up.
You go in again, and the thing just bails out after a little while.

What i did;
Go into the settings, apps and services. Kill the FM radio in there.
Secondly, go into "airplane mode".
Hold power button for a few sec, change to airplane mode.
Leave it in there for a couple of secs, and then turn it back on.

The radio should work now.

Going into airplane mode cuts the power to the radio unit, and you get it restarted.
Since i did this, It has been working well for me.
If it cocks up again, just repeat the above - that should kick it back into shape.
Obviously, there's a driver somewhere that don't check the state of the radio, and just makes a faulty assumption.

Upvote 0
Regarding previous post: my phone software is: HTC Desire firmware 2.1-update1, 1.21.405.2. and Radio software version 1.00.0047.174215. I still think that radio firmware my be something different.

Here is a reply from HTC: As for the issue with the FM Radio, kindly follow the steps below:
1) Please make sure there is enough free memory on the

Upvote 0
Hi all, first time posting on this forum

Had the Desire since last Friday and for the first time tried out the FM Radio on it. All seems well at first but after a few minutes use the app just stops responding completely and the Radio continues to play whatever your currently listening to. You can still manipulate the on screen buttons but nothing happens at all. You cant change stations, re-search for stations doesnt work it just effectively stops the current station from playing, neither can you change anything via the menu button. The app power off button on the top right stops working and the only thing you can do to make the Radio work again is rebooting the phone.

I have done a hard reset and at first it seemed to resolve the problem but after using the Radio again tonight the problem is back as before

This is very frustrating because i use the radio on my phone alot normally. Is this a software fault or hardware fault or something else im missing here?

I just purchased the HTC Desire 2 days ago and I find exactly the same problem. Frustrating...

Upvote 0
A quick thought on this.

I've used the radio a few times since I got my desire a couple of weeks ago and hadn't discovered this bug until today when I was playing around with the supplied HTC headphones for the first time.

I rebooted the phone and tried it again with the generic Sony headphones I normally use and it was fine. I've now tried it with the HTC phones again and can't replicate the fault.

I'm wondering if it's a conflict with the remote controls on the HTC headphones? As I mentioned in another thread I've been having problems with a conflict between the music player and Google Listen - the buttons control both at once and freeze/buffer commands if I don't kill GL first. I'm wondering if there's a similar conflict with the FM radio and something else running at the same time?

Incidently I've read elsewhere and have noticed it myself on my Desire another radio related bug... there is something in the phone putting out interference on 96.0FM. Not a problem if you don't like somewhere with a station on 96.0 of course but annoying if you do (Radio 4 in N.Ireland for example)

Upvote 0
A quick thought on this.

I've used the radio a few times since I got my desire a couple of weeks ago and hadn't discovered this bug until today when I was playing around with the supplied HTC headphones for the first time.

I rebooted the phone and tried it again with the generic Sony headphones I normally use and it was fine. I've now tried it with the HTC phones again and can't replicate the fault.

I'm wondering if it's a conflict with the remote controls on the HTC headphones? As I mentioned in another thread I've been having problems with a conflict between the music player and Google Listen - the buttons control both at once and freeze/buffer commands if I don't kill GL first. I'm wondering if there's a similar conflict with the FM radio and something else running at the same time?

Incidently I've read elsewhere and have noticed it myself on my Desire another radio related bug... there is something in the phone putting out interference on 96.0FM. Not a problem if you don't like somewhere with a station on 96.0 of course but annoying if you do (Radio 4 in N.Ireland for example)

Yep noticed this myself on 96.0 and I am in N.I but fortunately I am more a Radio 2 kinda guy :)

Upvote 0
On all other phone's I've had, pulling the headphones out switches the radio off. I was wondering one day why my battery drains so quickley sometimes, until I plugged the headphones in one day and the radio was already on! Yes, you can switch it off by the tiny button in the top right-hand corner, but that isn't obvious!

Upvote 0
Hi All,

first time poster similar to Woody.

Recently purchased a Desire here in New Zealand. Absolutely stoked with the device with one major exception. The Radio.

I have read multiple posts but the only conclusion I can reach is that there is a software issue. The behaviour is similar as explained above. You turn the radio on, it works fine for 5 minutes or so and if you then a) try and change stations, b) increase the volume the radio app doesn't respond. Furthermore if you take a call or for whatever reason exit the radio and subsequently re-access the radio application it attempts to load but seems to get 90% of the way there before stalling, waiting for 20 seconds and then crashing. App manager shows that it is still running in the background but not even using this to kill the app recovers the situation.

I have removed all applications, cases etc to no joy. I use the radio on a regular basis, in fact the fact this handset had a radio was one of the key purchasing decisions. My next plan of attack is to video the behaviour and dump it on the HTC website. Eitherway this is a complete pain in the #&*^ and if anyone has any idea how to get around this then please let us know. Otherwise I guess i'll just have to wait for a 2.2 that I sincerely hope resolves this problem.

Finally for those of you who are experiencing this problem hammer HTC support. They have done a fantastic job with this handset but their failure to recognise an issue that seems to be impacting so many users is concerning.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones