• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help FM Radio Reception, am I the only one having major issues

cman8882

May 27, 2010
The FM radio on the incredible is horrible. Am I the only one who notices this? I tried two different headsets and the reception is still horrible. I mean, not just kinda bad, but basically the reception is so bad that the fm radio is useless. Anyone else have this problem? How do you fix?

I am having a problem with it. With the same headphones and in the same location I can get every station with my Zune HD but I cant pick up a single one with the Dinc. I never use it because it sucks so bad.

Does the Zune use the headphones as an antenna? A lot of mobile devices have internal FM antennas. I have an MP3 player that doesn't use the headphones.

Upvote 0
The "stock" FM radio app does use the headphones as an antenna. I have not been able to get even a blurb or real music or talk since I've had the phone, but have only tried with cheapo ear buds. Perhaps a higher quality set of headphones with better wiring/shielding would solve the problem, but I would imagine I'd at least be able to make out SOMETHING in the static with even the cheapest of earbuds, on the very local stations. Nada.

Upvote 0
I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere on the internet yet, so I felt a need to share...

I googled for "droid incredible 4-pole" and found one Verizon document mentioning that the connector is a 4-pole connector (it is not in the user manual). My iPod earbuds were not giving me any reception. So, I used a 4-pole to 3 RCA cable from a camcorder, paired with a 2 RCA to stereo 3.5mm (3-pole) cable attached with:

stereo L -> white
stereo R -> yellow

The red cable I left unconnected. If I tried touching the red signal pin to ground, it caused the radio to reset, or the phone interpreted it as a "start voice command" button. I don't have one around to test with, but I think that the wired hands-free sets are 4-pole 2.5mm connectors, and the 2.5mm plug might fit loosely in the 3.5mm jack?

I tested continuity with a multimeter between all three signal pins and they are definitely distinct.

Anyway, I get great reception now. I just need to figure out a more compact method that doesn't involve 8 feet of cables in my pocket.

Upvote 0
Ok, I probably should have seen this thread:
http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/42115-splitter-split-mic-external-speakers.html

I am ordering one of these:
Computer PC Headset Smartphone Adapter, Dual 3.5mm to Single 3.5mm

EDIT 1 (8/27):
Actually, I am going to try this first. The description is a little vague but it might be right:
http://cgi.ebay.com/3-PLUG-iphone-TRRS-headphone-adapter-2G-3G-3GS-4-/380256600426?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item58890f416a

EDIT 2 (9/13):
was wrong

EDIT 3 (9/27):
Tried stacking 3 connectors together, but I guess I must have tested with a multimeter but not with the old left/right audio test, because the method doesn't work like it seemed to at one point. Back to the drawing board.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones