• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root fm transmitter?

jibsta

Lurker
Mar 16, 2010
Sorry if this has been answered, i am considering buying a nexus one now that the 3g version for rogers became available, i plan too root and install custom build on it, do any of them enable the fm transmitter in the device so it can play in my car/boat without buying another external one?

Sorry if this has been answered, i am considering buying a nexus one now that the 3g version for rogers became available, i plan too root and install custom build on it, do any of them enable the fm transmitter in the device so it can play in my car/boat without buying another external one?

what makes you think there's an FM transmitter built into the device?

Upvote 0

not seen anything about the FM transmitter since they released the teardown info...sorry

Upvote 0
Buy the n1 anyway. Amazing device and I'm sure the radio capability will be unlocked eventually. Shouldn't be a deciding factor lol.

Anyways if it makes you feel better the HTC desire is going to be released and based on the alpha roms for n1, the feature will NOT be locked. After the initial release we should be able to figure out if the capability lies in the rom or the app and it shouldn't be too long after that.

Upvote 0
fwiw, when was the last time you listened to FM radio? i listen to pandora, sirius(satellite radio), or mp3's... i seriously haven't turned on my cars FM radio in a very long time... whenever i bake my roms at modaco i always leave the FM radio out, not because it doesn't work, but because it doesn't hold any attraction for me.

Upvote 0
fwiw, when was the last time you listened to FM radio? i listen to pandora, sirius(satellite radio), or mp3's... i seriously haven't turned on my cars FM radio in a very long time... whenever i bake my roms at modaco i always leave the FM radio out, not because it doesn't work, but because it doesn't hold any attraction for me.

fwiw, read what my question was before you post?

Upvote 0
Not sure if it will be unlocked or not, but the N1 lacks the antenna to broadcast anyways. Even on the Cliq with the FM receiver unlocked you have to have headphones plugged in to receive anything so you'd probably have to have something plugged into the headphone jack to act as a broadcast antenna. I broke down and purchased an iTrip Auto Universal and it is wonderful. I've always liked the iTrip line and this one is just as good as the iphone ones. One glitch I've found though is on some N1s anything plugged into the headphone jack besides the N1 headphones will make the songs skip around if you move the phone while it's playing. Has something to do with the contacts in the jack. My wife's has this problem but mine doesn't. It's worse with the iTrip than headphones.

Upvote 0
Not sure if it will be unlocked or not, but the N1 lacks the antenna to broadcast anyways. Even on the Cliq with the FM receiver unlocked you have to have headphones plugged in to receive anything so you'd probably have to have something plugged into the headphone jack to act as a broadcast antenna. I broke down and purchased an iTrip Auto Universal and it is wonderful. I've always liked the iTrip line and this one is just as good as the iphone ones. One glitch I've found though is on some N1s anything plugged into the headphone jack besides the N1 headphones will make the songs skip around if you move the phone while it's playing. Has something to do with the contacts in the jack. My wife's has this problem but mine doesn't. It's worse with the iTrip than headphones.

Yeah i have a ipod fm transmitter but it connects from the doc not a 3.5mm so its of no use too me now :( oh well, im still planning too buy the phone an root it.

Upvote 0
Latest Update. The radio ability lies inside of the kernel acording to modaco. The HTC Desire's radio will be able to function, but the reason we can't port that over just yet is because the Desire is using the .29 kernel which does not boot on the Nexus One. I'd link you to the article but I really don't remember where. He's beein developing work arounds for it though, like the camera app and other etc. It'll come about in all due time I gurantee it. Once Paul can figure it out, I'm sure an individual app won't be far either.

IN SHORT...it's coming. It's going to be a while but it IS coming.

Hope that helps!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones