• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help FM Tuner in Sense 5?

I have 2 HTC ONE X phones that I recently bought on eBay so I could ditch Verizon.

My phone is running Sense 4+ and Android 4.1.1 and has no FM Tuner.

The second phone (wife's) is running Sense 5 and Android 4.2.2 and I found that it has an FM Tuner app that works great. For me, the radio works better than Internet radio when I am walking due to dead spots on the phone reception in the hills.

My question is if I upgrade my One X to Sense 5, will I get the tuner? I understand that the FM hardware is in the phone already. I kinda like Sense 4+ and would rather not change to Sense 5 if I do not need to, plus I am not on AT&T, so it would have to be done using HTC Sync, I believe.

Upvote 0
I called HTC and they confirmed that the FM Tuner is in Sense 5. The tech support person said that they no longer offered the Sense 5/Android 4.2.2 upgrade from their website, that I would have to go to my carrier to get it (which I cannot on Consumer Cellular)

BUT, it is available on the HTC USA website. I downloaded the newest version of Sync Manager and the the ROM File** and followed the instructions for a manual system update. The ROM update worked perfectly, once downloaded, it took maybe 10 minutes to install. Sense 5 seems to work a bit better than version 4+; it is slightly different to use, but not a problem. :)

Be aware that you will lose all the data and all your apps on the phone, so back it up first. Yo will have to reinstall the apps manually, they do not back up. Make a list of the ones that are important to you.

** go to HTC One X (AT&T) -News & download | HTC United States
Note that the ROM Wizard is listed way at the bottom as "Download 784mb". Not very intuitive.
Download this file to your PC, it is very slow for some reason. Backup to your PC using Synch, then run the ROM update.

Reactions: europadroid
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones