1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Folder: /data/dalvik-cache

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by UKCatFan, Jun 6, 2011.

1. UKCatFan

UKCatFan Android Expert
    None

Dec 15, 2010
    It looks like I have found a treasure of wasted memory on my phone! I had to buy Root Explorer tonight to fix a problem I had. I discovered that the /data/dalvik-cache folder is holding files for apps I no longer even have. Some are system apps I deleted with Titanium. From everything I have read, there is no problem deleting everything in this folder since it is just a cache. For apps still on the system, it will just re-build the cache file when needed.

So here is my question. Do any of the experts out there know about this? I want to make sure that I do not delete something important and mess up the phone. It looks like I might be able to recover about 10-15MB, which is much needed as I am getting low.

Advertisement

2. Aplus

Aplus Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 12, 2010
    Bay Area

Yes, you can delete it and it will be rebuilt on reboot. If you have custom recovery there is an option to delete dalvic cache. Alternatively, you said you have titanium just use that, press the menu button, select "more" and choose the clean up dalvic cache. This will check for cache files not associated with any apps you have on your system.

UKCatFan likes this.
  3. UKCatFan

UKCatFan Android Expert
    None

Dec 15, 2010

Thank you on the Titanium info! I recovered more than I thought i would at 28MB!!! I am now at 56MB and happy.

I will give you a thanks later when I am on the browser. I cannot see where to do it on the app.

Tags: