1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Folder icon

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by jrmckins, Nov 24, 2011.

1. jrmckins

jrmckins Android Expert
    None

Jun 25, 2010
    This can't be as hard as I'm making it. I'm using stock Gingerbread with sense 2.1. How do I change the icon for the folder? I use bettercut to change the icons for shortcuts and apps but can't figure out how to change the icon for a folder.

Advertisement

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Its entirely dependent on the launcher you use. Go Launcher allows me to set custom folder icons.

If Sense does not allow changing folder icons, use a folder organizer app like Folder Organizer or App Organizer. Then once you arrange your apps into Labels in them, you can put shortcuts to the Labels on the screen. Both apps allow you to customize the icon per Label shortcut.

3. jrmckins

jrmckins Android Expert
    None

Jun 25, 2010
    I've tried both of those, and others, and none of them can seem to "see" my shortcuts. I have shortcuts to various addresses using Navigation. I can't figure out how to get these tools to see those shortcuts to add them to a folder. I also can't figure out how to create a Navigation shortcut within one of these tools so I can add it to a folder. Any ideas?

4. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    You dont add shortcuts to the folders. You go into the app, then you will see there a list of all the apps you have on your phone. For each app, you assign a label. For example, you assign "Drive" to Google Maps, Google Navigation, and Google Places. You can then select an icon for the label. Once your do that, go to your homescreen, add a shortcut and select Organizer Link, and choose the label. If you open the label, it will act like a folder.

You dont put a Shortcut and try to add other shortcuts into it. :)

EDIT:
    Wait, I just realize you mean one of those shortcuts that get you directions to a person immediately via Navigation.

Well, if thats the case, I dont think either app is able to do it. Which basically means for your purposes, staying with sense launcher = you dont have changing folder icons. :)

5. jrmckins

jrmckins Android Expert
    None

Jun 25, 2010
    Yup. It was pretty easy to figure out the basics of the tools but getting it to do what I want doesn't seem possible. The stock "folder" with "shortcuts" in it is what I want but I just want to change the folder icon which I don't think is possible but hopefully someone will tell me I'm wrong.