• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Folder Question - Working with new folders

kingbear

Lurker
Aug 22, 2011
Owner of a Samsung Infuse;

is there a way to place pdf, word docs, and excel files into a newely created desktop folder?

i have created a new folder on the desktop but I cannot find any feature to place an application file in it. It would seem the only files i can put in a new file is a program file like those in the app market place.

I would like to have a few word, excel, or PDF files on my infuse desktop. can someone tell me how to do this?

thanks!

Owner of a Samsung Infuse;

is there a way to place pdf, word docs, and excel files into a newely created desktop folder?

i have created a new folder on the desktop but I cannot find any feature to place an application file in it. It would seem the only files i can put in a new file is a program file like those in the app market place.

I would like to have a few word, excel, or PDF files on my infuse desktop. can someone tell me how to do this?

thanks!

you need to first create a shortcut to that file, and then put the shortcut in the folder

Upvote 0
Thank you for your advice!

Can you tell me how to make a shortcut first to the specific file and then place this shortcut into the New folder?

When I pull up the shortcut menu options, I do not see where I can create a shortcut to the specific file.

My only options are as follows:

Applicatoins
Bookmark
Contact
Direct Dial
Direct Message
Directions & Navigation
Gmail Label
Settings

Thank you!

Upvote 0
Thank you for your advice!

Can you tell me how to make a shortcut first to the specific file and then place this shortcut into the New folder?

When I pull up the shortcut menu options, I do not see where I can create a shortcut to the specific file.

My only options are as follows:

Applicatoins
Bookmark
Contact
Direct Dial
Direct Message
Directions & Navigation
Gmail Label
Settings

Thank you!
I will tomorrow....i will have to flash back to stock

I think you need to add an app like astro file explorer to the mix.

Upvote 0
Infuse Owners:

I spoke to the Samsung factory CSR's yesterday 8-29-11 and asked them about placing a PDF, Word, Excel or other document/shortcut into a newly created desktop folder, or just making a simple desktop shortcut to the file.

They told me this CANNOT be done as this is part of the Android software/ programming!

So this leaves all Infuse owners to search for an APP that an do this function. The Samsung CSR's I spoke to have never been asked this question and they had to put me on hold for a while to research the original question. After they told me this could not be done, they told me they have a special form they complete for software developers for great ideas for future software/programming updates. So maybe in the future this feature will be part of the OS.

Upvote 0
Infuse Owners:

I spoke to the Samsung factory CSR's yesterday 8-29-11 and asked them about placing a PDF, Word, Excel or other document/shortcut into a newly created desktop folder, or just making a simple desktop shortcut to the file.

They told me this CANNOT be done as this is part of the Android software/ programming!

So this leaves all Infuse owners to search for an APP that an do this function. The Samsung CSR's I spoke to have never been asked this question and they had to put me on hold for a while to research the original question. After they told me this could not be done, they told me they have a special form they complete for software developers for great ideas for future software/programming updates. So maybe in the future this feature will be part of the OS.

It can be done...give me a bit more time, and keep in mind it may take buying an app to accomplish it.

Give me a bit of time. Sorry I am swamped with work and planning a wedding.

Don't give up.

In the meantime..download and sign up for the amazon app store if you have not already. The free app of the day yesterday was a folder organizer :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones