• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Folder Won't Open

I have a few folders on my Droid's home screen that I use to organize apps and links. Occasionally, I will have one that won't open when I tap it. All the other folders will work fine...just one folder will break.

If I long press the broken folder, I can move the icon around, but I can't drop it into another folder, and I can't drop another folder into it.

I can 'fix' the folder by restarting the phone, but I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and knows what's going on.

I upgraded to Android 2.01 (but I can't remember if the problem ever happend before that) and I am not using any type of home replacement.

Any ideas? Thanks.

I have this problem also and it drives me crazy. It always seems to hit the folder that I use most...which, by the way, is games.

The only consolation I have is that with LauncherPro (or Helix) installed you can restart them to get the folder to work again and don't have to do a manual restart.

Upvote 0
Having the same problem... How do you slide open your keyboard when on the home screen? Are you talking about a phone with a physical keyboard?

Yes, Tone7881 is talking about the physical keyboard. Not sure which phone you have but you posted in a forum for the original Droid which has one.

Which phone are you using?

I posted above with this problem and never really found a solution, though, I am now rooted and it hasn't recurred since then.

Upvote 0
I just got my phone last week, and I noticed the same problem. I have had to re-boot several times now in order to open one folder or another. Sometimes I have been able to use Advanced Task Manager to kill all running apps, then open the stuck folder. But there are other times when only a re-boot will work.

I bought an Android phone because I was tired of waiting for an iPhone to come to Verizon. I have an iPod touch now running version 4.2.1. I've never had a problem with folders getting stuck on my iPod. Sometimes an app would freeze or crash, but never a folder.

When it comes to folders freezing, it seems to be a problem with the operating system. I like my new phone, but I am a little disappointed that the OS doesn't seem to be as reliable as the iPhone/iPod OS. As I said, I've only had the Android phone for about a week, so maybe my impression will change over time.

Upvote 0
It's actually caused somehow by an app being opened from within that folder and not being closed properly and this somehow keeps the folder open (the folder is open, just not visible), and the reason it won't open is because it's already open. I haven't figured out which process to kill, but thats an obvious way to fix it. I discovered this by accident as I had the autodock app running and when I killed that app, the folder in which it was was then possible to be opened. We need a "Close all folders" app. I believe that would provide a fix when it happens.

Upvote 0
@webmasterpdx: you're spot on. It is, in fact, caused by that exactly.

My thought is that a simple scripter/script could be put to use to a) detect all folders that are open, b) close them and c) set their status to closed (should that need to be included).

I, however, know nothing of the android platform as far as programming is concerned.

This issue is destroying my phone usability.

Can ANYONE ... ANYONE point me in a direction to solve this?

Upvote 0
My thought is that a simple scripter/script could be put to use to a) detect all folders that are open, b) close them and c) set their status to closed (should that need to be included).

I, however, know nothing of the android platform as far as programming is concerned.

That is a great idea. I don't know anything about programming for Android either. But if that would work, I would gladly pay $0.99 for an app that would close all open folders.

Upvote 0
I don't know if this helps you guys at all, but I have the same problem. I have an Htc Aria running CM 6.1 with ADW Launcher. I frequently get the broken folder issue but, can get it working again by restarting ADW Launcher:
Menu-> Settings-> ADWLauncher-> Restart ADW

I hope this helps!

Yes this worked very nicely, shame I didn't find that option myself. Thanks for the tip. Also, as mentioned previously, the reason why a folder will stop working is precisely because an application is still running and ADW thinks the folder is still open, but restarting ADW works like a charm.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones